Wednesday, September 09, 2009

We've been here a year...

TODAY!

That is crazy to me! This was our farewell dinner at my parents' house with my family (Mom, Dad, brother Billy, sis-in-law Becky, and precious niece Riley Jane), as well as Josh's parents. This was a hard night. :)

Saying goodbye at the airport. I bawled as my parents drove off, and Mike and Phyllis helped us with our bags and kids before they left town. I couldn't handle one big good-bye to all 4 of them, so this was a good way to do it.

Sitting in the airport.

I think that was the only time Josh held Luke. I don't say that meanly- THIS trip, it was heaven being the one to hold baby Luke- he slept the entire time! It wasn't until the Manchester airport that our move really hit me. I kind of entered a zombie zone I didn't emerge from for about a month.

The entire first few weeks, I cried every day. EVERYthing was different, and I missed "home" and all that word means.

This was our first trip to the grocery store, and Luke was so great those few weeks of falling asleep out and about and transferring to his bed at home- such a blessing!

This was my first view of the campus and King's College. It was the first time I thought, "Wow. We live in Scotland."


I definitely felt like the move was right and part of God's plan for us. However, it also felt like a lot of sacrifice of "normalness" and comforts. I missed my home and the life I had grown to love. I missed (and still do) my church and my role there. I was also crazy tired from jet-lagging (myself and my family!) and starting a new work project I could only do when kids were asleep. I felt very stressed about that, too. Plus, my parents and my brother moved and I have a nephew on the way, which was a sad but true testament to the fact that everyone else's lives continued without my presence. :)

But, by God's grace, we adjusted, and it all worked out. I made new friends, enjoyed my role as Mommy and my job, and Josh loved his courses and what he learned. Now we live in a flat I got to help pick out, and trips to the grocery store don't bewilder me. :)

So, all that said, I thought you might be interested in what I'm missing and looking forward to when we get to go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas:

1. Family! People who love us and who dote on our children!
2. Sonic! Rt 44 Diet Coke with vanilla at happy hour....then another one with cherry later.
3. Connecting with old friends
4. Seeing my niece and NEW nephew (due end of Oct)
5. Visit to IA to see my friends there
6. Target- going just for fun and getting the popcorn special with the kids; how Luke will LOVE being included this time around!
7. Mall play areas for rainy or cold days, or days you just need to go somewhere!
8. Buttered movie popcorn
9. Sitting around, laughing at the kids' funny antics with family
10. Dollar signs
11. Endless shopping with Phyllis...I think I'm prepared for that... ;) and the JOY of the find (yea for New year's sales and other marketing strategies that make me feel like I've conquered the world when I purchase something)
12. Being pampered by aforementioned family
13. Seeing my parent's new house, which is just precious in pics
14. Having my dad entertain the kids, while Mom and I run around just for fun
15. REAL Tex-Mex: Pappasitos, La Ha, La Hacienda in Victoria....
16. Really sugary (non-chocolate) cereal: Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms...oh, I'm drooling!

8 comments:

Nana Phyllis said...

WE CAN'T WAIT EITHER!! I'm ready for marathon shopping with you, too. We'll be sure to have your fav. cereals and goodies when you come. Prepare to be pampered. The only thing I haven't done lately is buy movie popcorn. I refuse to pay more for popcorn than the movie. The prices here are outrageous - even though it smells like heaven when we walk in. Counting the weeks - will be here before you know it.

Becky McCord said...

We are so honored to be on that list!! Especially Doodlebug!! We can't wait to see you. It will be just so much fun hanging out. Love you!!!!

The Green Family said...

Congratulations! You made it through your first full year!!! Well done, my friend. You're definitely a pro now. :-)

Kate E. said...

Happy Scotland Anniversary!

I can wait for you to go--those are going to be some long winter months without my compadre in crime. :) You guys will be missed here!

Geer Family said...

we're not far behind in celebrating and are planning a Nov trip as well. How long will u be home...right now I'm thinking maybe I want to be there for 2mths too! I'm glad I'm not the only one who would make a similar list as you did! ;)

Andrea G. said...

Sugary cereal is something we could be sending! That was one I didn't know :) I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Target's deal is no longer as good for popcorn and pop. INFLATION! We have protested and not bought any the last couple of months :) I think it only went up a quarter, but still!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Riley Jane and Willy 4 come after Sonic drinks...

Billy

Mamama said...

This is another one that I somehow missed! You can enjoy your marathon shopping with Phyllis and your butterd popcorn with me. We too look forward very eagerly to time with you and your family - it will be fun to pamper you and have fun with you and take you to both old and new places such as Sonic and Pappasitos for the old and Amore and Sweet Tomatoes for the new! You will love our new home and location - I can't wait for you to see it!! We are very excited to love on Rebekah and Luke - what fun that will be! Baby Billy will be a treat for all of us. Much love to you my precious daughter -