I get mocked pretty frequently for the amount of pictures I post. First off, it's my blog, I can post as many as I want. Secondly, if you had Picasa and could email as many as you wanted directly to blogger, you might be more tempted (altho even Picasa still has the audacity to ask me "Email 38 files?"). Thirdly, I never know which ones are the real winners. Based on the baby pictures people send out, we don't always agree on what "cute" is. So, I like to give you options.
Today's post is no different- maybe even more pics than usual...and not because they're all so darn cute but because they are all pieces in a some process or bigger whole from the day.
For example: "Eating your first Nutrigrain bar"
or "Becoming enchanted by the beetle"
or "Being part of a team"
or "Watching a UK TV" (the ONLY good thing about a front-loading washer the size of a thimble)
or "Playing at the park with my dad"
(and my mom)
or "The end of summer"
Sidenote:
You may not have recognized that pretty little girl in the photos. That's because she no longer is a thumb-sucker. The day at the park was her reward (of her own choosing) for ceasing to mutilate her thumb. I am amazed at what Mavala Stop (great tip, Carrie!) and a little bribery can accomplish in one day.
If you'd like more details:
Rebekah has been an avid thumb-sucker since 4 months old. It has not for one second hindered her ability to speak endlessly with multi-syllabic words, but it is a habit I felt needed breaking by 3. My friend and mentor Carrie suggested Mavala Stop- it is a clear nail polish-like product for this very purpose.
So, I had the right product, but I needed her buy-in. Fortunately for us, our elder child is very susceptible to positive thinking, pride, and bribery. Positive thinking: You can choose to stop sucking you thumb! Pride: Do you want to be a big girl? and Bribery: You can choose whatever you want for quitting sucking your thumb. Rebekah was all in from day 1- she even helped me paint it on, and while it lasts for days (based on my test thumb which still is awful when I use my fingers to eat something), she asks for it to be reapplied at least daily.
She openly admitted that she sucked her thumb a little bit that first night ("I just wanted to see what it tasted like- it was yucky."). She did not do it again. I know, as all mothers do, what my kids do (or don't do) by the tell-tale signs on their persons. In this case, there were no wrinkles on her thumb. Additionally, no sightings during the day, when resting, or when reading books.
Mission accomplished. Thank you, Lord, for another easy win where I expected a drawn-out battle.



11 comments:
So much to say...
1. YEAH about the thumb sucking! Praise the Lord she went along with it! I first I thought it was a book, Mavala Stops, and thought that was one motivating book :)
2. Love the picture of Rebekah running! Cross country star?
3. Those slides are something else!! I don't know if my kids would ever get to slide as I am not sure I would be fit with them!
4. The swing/hammock thing was REALLY neat!
5.I don't know how you say no to Luke's grin! So cute!
6. LOVE ALL the pictures ALWAYS!
I'd never complain about the number of pics! Love them all! Kudos on the thumb sucking...I have to admit I was THRILLED when Joy found hers recently :) Charlie is a big thumb sucker too so I'll have to cross those bridges soon enough...sigh...
First, LOVE actually getting to see you in the pictures. I miss that! More please. :)
Secondly, way to go Rebekah!!!!! You are such a big girl and Miss Carrie is so proud. (Mavala rocks.)
Dido Andrea, never too many pictures for those of us who love and miss you guys.
Still in awe of all the beauty you get to behold on a regular basis, heavenly! Thanks for sharing.
Love you girl.
Too many pictures. Not enough words. :)
I can only hope that Lily will stop sucking her thumb so willingly. Unfortunately she seems to be almost immune to bribery and positive thinking. We'll tackle potty training first and go from there....
I like that Ashy is with Rebekah. :)
I love all the pictures! :) It's fun to see and I agree with you....you never know which one someone will like better than the other. I tend to post a series of the same "shoot" because each one is a little different.....and you're right, cute is different for everyone. Love seeing you in the pics too. You look great and have a super cute haircut!!
Way to go, R! What a fun place to celebrate-looks awesome. I love the slide pics of you and Luke. So cute! And I love getting to see the sights through your blog.
I think pictures are the highlight of a blog! Keep 'em coming.
Where is that park? Those slides look awesome!!!
We'll have to try Mavala Stop. We did something similar that was "guaranteed" by the dentist. Noah gagged through it.
Way to go! I got that for Paige, she just sucks it off. . .doesn't care at all that it is horrible! (I did a test thumb, too.)
I love the pics! Keep them coming. How else can we see your precious kids when you live across the world.
It's hard for me as the non-partial mother/grandmother to imagine anyone thinking you post too many pictures - I love them all!! I'm so proud of Rebekah for getting rid of the pacifier - as you recall, you gave it up for cherries. Luke looks adorable. Love you!
Hi Emily,
I am always inspired as a new mom when I read your blog. I haven't hit any of these sticky situations yet, but will be trying all sorts of your remedies when I do. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the holidays....Maybe London and Luke will "play" together.
Post a Comment