Okay- Luke is a crazy kid. There's no other way around it.
Example 1: For the past few weeks he has resumed his lovely habit of sleeping in until almost 8- bless him...this happens whether I put him down at 6:30 or 7:30 or 8:30pm.
Example 2: If I put him down for a morning nap at 10 or 10:30, I either have to awaken him or I let him sleep 1 1/2-2+ hours....then, he will play until 2 or 2:30 and take a 1 hour and 15 minute nap.
Example 3: If we skip said morning nap, he will happily (if distracted enough) stay up until 1 or 2 and then take 1 hr 15 minute nap.
No, you did not mis-read that. 1 hour and 15 minutes...how does that work? How does a baby who misses a beloved morning nap not somehow make up for it when he goes down later????
Real-life examples:
1-nap day Friday- Luke woke up at 8-ish. We went to church play group, thus missing morning nap. I put him down at 1:08pm and he was crying at 2:28. I left him for 20 minutes to see if it was an I'm-still-tired-cry, but no, he was done. We went to Blair's house to play with her 3 boys and Luke fussed the entire time. Embarrassing.
2-nap days Saturday/Sunday- Luke woke up at 8-ish. I put him down at 10:30 and woke him at noon. I put him down at 2:40 and woke him at 5 so we could drive out to Banchory for a dinner invitation. He went to bed at 8:30 (we were in Banchory and didn't get there until 5:30) and he slept until 8-ish the next morning. See, same wake-up time even tho he went to bed quite a bit later...and he would have happily gone to bed earlier if we had been home. He got to sleep an hour that morning b/f we woke him for church. Not a happy camper, but perked up quickly. Then, he (and I :)) slept from 2-5!!!!!! He went to bed at 7:30. Today, got up at...yes, 8-ish. I put him down at 10:15 and woke him at 12:15- he was snoring. I put him down at 3 and he woke up at 4:15...this is the more normal schedule by the way. Lengthy afternoon naps are not the norm.
So, I used to wake him up after an hour in the am, but it never lengthened the afternoon nap...so now I am trying to let him sleep as he wants, but it's kinda crazy. Not sure how we're going to drop this morning nap when it's obviously his favorite. I know, i know, move it back a bit at a time, etc...that is a little overwhelming to me b/c it is a process and I am a get-her-done kind of girl. We'll see what happens over Christmas in Texas. :)
Oh, as for Rebekah- she never naps. Seriously. Sometimes it's really quiet and I peek in and she chirps, "I'm awake! Mama, I'm up!" Precious. The other day she had been in her bed for a while, so I popped in to see her just settling in for a nap...She said, "Mama! I'm awake!" I asked her, "Were you going to sleep?" She said, "yes." I asked, "Are you tired?" She answered quickly, "Not anymore!" and threw off her covers. Such a socialite. (It was after 3:30 so a nap at that point would have killed bed time anyway.)
And the winner is….
9 years ago



5 comments:
Oh the drama of nap time!!
He is definitely an interesting sleeper. I know you wanted to try to drop the morning nap so you could go somewhere all morning and rest in the afternoon. Try not to stress about it and just work daily with whatever you need to do.
Naps Naps. Who needs naps? Riley didn't have one today. I think that was the first day of her life without a nap. Let's just say it didn't slow her down a bit.
I just love how Luke LOVES his naps-he is a sleeper for sure! My boys were always great sleepers, but he takes it to a new level:) Good and bad for a mom, I know, because it hampers your ability to get out and do certain things. But I can't help but laugh at how cute it is that he naps in such a way...he is precious.
Yeah, I say let I'm sleep! :-) Ethan did the same thing, back and forth, back and forth sometimes, but always such a great sleeper!! Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY! Don't worry about when he'll drop that morning nap. He will do it eventually--when he's ready--and then you'll really miss it. Remember, Ethan didn't drop his morning one till he was almost 2! ;-)
Post a Comment