Monday, January 19, 2009

How we're adjusting

Well, it's always hard to lose 6 hours. God has been good, though, and we got a lot of rest we didn't count on. Saturday, we got that long nap and then both kids went down at 8 and 8:30pm- they both awoke around 10:30pm, but quickly went right back to bed until we woke them at 10am!!!! That was glorious! So, Luke took naps every few hours and we skipped R's. I put them both in bed at 8 again last night- sadly, it felt like their naps apparently- they were up from 10pm-12am as we talked them into sleeping again. Actually we bribed Rebekah and until she fell asleep after midnight, we heard "I want a red popsicle, mommy- red, red, red!!!" After that, tho, they slept until I got them up at 9am. We are trying to win back some time each day- I shouldn't have put them in bed so early last night. Anyway, the hardest part is that I have to work when they're sleeping, so I need them down at reasonable times. I ended up taking them both to creche this am and got some work done. Josh went in to his office and is studying for his 2 finals. the bright side is that he is off next week- the negative side of me wishes they could have had their finals pre-Xmas and we could have stayed 2 weeks longer in TX...

The kids are doing okay- Luke was a terror yesterday, but is much better today. Rebekah has been doing great most of the time- a few meltdowns, but overall much more herself than even in TX sometimes. She was sooooo excited to get Mickie back and to reclaim all her belongings- I am amazed at how much she remembered she had! It has been fun watching her play with the things she got for Christmas. She has asked for TX and grandparents, but has mostly handled it well that we're not there.

In terms of daily life, it has been a much easier adjustment this time around. Having a car, knowing where things are and how they work, etc. has been great. However, it is sad thinking about how long we'll be here without seeing many special people we love. I keep looking around and seeing things I did in preparation for leaving or going somewhere and reliving how excited I was to go home. Granted I am tired and a bit stressed, but I am still feeling homesick. My mom is coming in April for Luke's 1st birthday and Josh's parents are coming in July for Rebekah's 3rd birthday. With this in mind, tho, I am striving to really make a life for us here and not simply exist between visits to or from family. This will be challenging, but I am so blesses to already have some really sweet friends here who were even nice enough to email us while we were away- that made me feel really special and glad to know them, of course.

p.s. R is in room time while Luke naps right now- we're way off schedule-wise. :) You know me, tho, super-flexible, rolls with the punches...ha! Anyway, I digress...for several minutes now, R has preciously called out "I LIIIIIKE these fruit snacks, Mommy! (what Mamama sent with us- so good, job, Mamama) I love you, Mommy! I love you, too, Mommy!" Oh my gosh- highlight of my day. Thank you, Lord. (Similarly, Luke has been giving me the goofiest, sweetest, I-love-you-so-much-Mommy grins from his high chair, it has been killing me!)

4 comments:

Nana Phyllis said...

Sounds like our prayers are being answered. We are praying for quick adjustments for all the family and joy in the days you have in Scotland. I always want to think and dream about the future and forget to enjoy the present. Treasure each day with those precious little ones.
We love and miss you.

Nana

Carrie Sterner said...

Hey Emily. Those of us who love you to pieces are thrilled that the transition this time is better. No doubt some rough moments (maybe more than you let on, ;) just maybe). Know that you are still being covered in prayer. May the joy of the Lord be your strength today dear friend. Love you Emily.

Grandmama said...

I'm glad that the children are sleeping so much, and that you can get some rest and work done! We miss you here and know it's hard to be away from Texas and family for so long. I too am grateful that this transition is easier than in September and that you have dear friends there! I'm also glad this is not your first writing job even though it's different and harder, you've worked for them before. Much love to you my precious daughter!

Mary said...

Sounds like it's definately still a time of transition...and I hope it is over soon--Hearing the "I love you mommy's" helps I'm sure :):)