It has been a while, but I thought I would try doing a flashback again. Having 2 kids lends itself to that. Anyway, as I watch my Luke, I often find myself racking my brain for what Rebekah was like at this age.
Here is Rebekah at the same age, in our beloved Iowa house, with our boxer, Samson.
This was also her first time to throw up. :( Josh was champ, but was not about to get vomit on our couch, so he practically ran to our linens closet to grab this heinous sheet. I LOVED the snuggled-up pic, the thumb-suck, and their attention directed at the TV. :)
From previous posts, you may be picking up on a rough couple of weeks. :) Luke and Rebekah have both been clingier/fussier than usual. For example, Rebekah did not go to sleep until after 10 pm last night. I put her down at 8, she was crying at 9, I went in immediately and she was sobbing, choking out, "I just miss you, Mommy....I don't want you to leave me...." I fought back my own tears and snuggled with her for quite some time, assuring her I was here and not going anywhere. She wanted to see Daddy, too, which Josh jumped at b/c she has been favoring me almost in a hurtful way. He has spent some quality time with her recently, so it has been hard, I think, for him to see her distance herself. She was fine when we left, then I heard her again at 10. I went in, and this time I felt it was more to see if I would come and if she could get up, etc. She quieted quickly and was fine. Today, she asked if we could visit Daddy at skewl, so Josh was delighted to take a break and play with us this morning. She also chose to play with him tonight and showed him a lot of favor. I really believe that she is just needing intentional time. We have been trying to sit with her- with computers closed- and play with her. It has made her world. :) (I remember feeling so special when my dad sat on the floor played Checkers with just me- granted he never let me win.)
I was wondering if Luke needed the same thing. Thanks to my dear friend, Andrea, I had some insight a while back that he may need purposeful play. He does not seem to enjoy just holding something- he wants to put it somewhere or in something, or drive a car and say "vroom", or build with blocks. So, I am trying to be intentional there, too. Rebekah has picked up on my strategy here and tries to make a lot of fun games for him that he doesn't fully understand- go figure. :) Sweet sister.
Take-home point: I think it's easy to want to develop independence in my children so much that I unintentionally neglect lots of quality play time with them. *There is nothing wrong with them needing me.* Typing it sounds so obvious, but it is freeing nonetheless. :)
All this to say, I think the kids are doing better and feel very loved. :)



5 comments:
So glad for the good reports on the children Em!
I have also been convicted of VERY intentional time lately too... It comes from wanting instant satisfaction I think. I can see a clean floor, dusted furniture, a cooked meal, getting caught up on email, etc, but I can't always see the fruit of driving cars around a race track or feeding the "baby!" It means I have to get up before the sun to get everything in, but it is worth it and I am banking on God's promise that in due time if I persist, my children arise and call me blessed! For someone who likes instant satisfaction A LOT it is hard, but I am learning--most days :)
How sweet Emily to see Rebekah's familiar young face! My how time has flown.
I am so proud of you, listening to the Holy Spirit's promptings in your mothering. Your children are so blessed! In dying to self you are living out the gospel right before their eyes. One day they will understand that for what it really is....Jesus!
Emily, You are the sweetest mom and I admire your decernment about your kids and their needs. I am tucking away any little bit I knowledge I can about how to be in tune to Cody's needs. Thanks for being so honest!
So fun to see pics of Rebes when she was Doodlebug's age!
Post a Comment