Friday, August 28, 2009

Calling it dry

I am tired of buying pull-ups! Rebekah has been potty-trained for more than a year, but I haven't dealt with nights yet. Mostly it's an issue of not wanting her to have to get up in the middle of the night to tee-tee (and therefore me having to get up too). Plus, now we have stairs and a baby gate, so it's tricky, even if accompanied. However, she is totally capable of waiting until she wakes up, she doesn't always choose that.

Sidetrack a moment with me, please...when we go to the HUB, Rebekah has become accustomed to getting a small bag if Skittles. (Judge not lest ye be judged.) Sadly, she now takes them for granted (thus Luke feels entitled as well), assuming that she gets them every time we go. Furthermore, the reasonably-priced 10p bag has gone up to 15p!!! You need to know that my personal money has been divided in half as a result of extra expenses and less income, so a 50% increase is tragic indeed. :)

Thus arose my plan- reward a dry pull-up with Skittles! It worked the first 2 days. Then, on day 3, with solemn face, Rebekah informed me that her pull-up was "very, very heavy", and therefore wet. With the sweetest face ever, she petitioned, "Let's call it dry and do Skittles anyway." It took every bit of resolve to stand firm and say no.

6 comments:

Geer Family said...

What a character! I'm sure she takes after he mommy :)
I'm not tackling the night/nap thing just yet. My plan was to start not wearing diapers when she sleeps once she wakes up with dry diapers. We'll see...

Nana Phyllis said...

I'll be praying for you as you two work on this. I'm sure she will be dry in no time. Just takes training that bladder to hold it. She can do it - stay firm! Too bad about the skittles increase - wow that was a heafty increase. Good incentive for her, though since she loves them so much.

codi said...

That is so funny! What a smart girl-it was worth a try, right?! I have been struggling with the night thing with Josie, as well. It's more that I am too scared to try because I don't want to be up at night or have to wash lots of extra sheets in the event of an accident:) Keep me posted or give me some tips once you conquer it!

Kristin Barnett said...

That's so precious! I've always wondered how parents transitioned into full potty-trained mode to include the overnight accidents! That's a great plan, though! Keep us posted!

jamie said...

that is hilarious! i am the same way- pull ups at night! i don't want to get up either :) or push andy out of the bed to get up!
and don't worry every time we go to the gym to play the twins always get a treat out of the vending machine! :) treats are fun! i like them too!

Andrea G. said...

What is it about girls? Why does it take so much resolve and we want to give in so bad! :) I seem to have a harder time with Elizabeth! Way to not give in :)