Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Amsterdam Week

With Josh gone for the first time since we had kids (well, actually it's just that my parents always flew us down to TX and that doesn't work now), you may be wondering what we have been doing. Glad you asked. Having a blast!! Don't get me wrong- can't wait for Josh to return, but we have footloose and fancy free. Not putting meals on the table at certain times and having open evenings have allowed me to squeeze in a lot of friend and outdoor time. Yesterday, we hit the HUB as usual and then went to Kate's for lunch and dinner! We even bathed the kids together, but evidently you can't post that sort of thing online... :)


Today, I met a new friend this morning and realized as I was woke up Luke from a sound sleep at 8am to go, maybe I was pushing too hard to fit in too many things. R has been desperate for my attention and has been textbook bratty to get it. So, I promised her we would spend time together when we returned for Luke's nap. The second we were back she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I just want to spend time with you." Whoa. Drop what you're doing and sit down and do some stamps with the girl! That's just what we did. Then, it was amazingly gorgeous outside, so we had a picnic lunch with Kate, Rachel, Sandra (from church play group but not pictured), and their kids. See below.



(The field they're playing on is adjacent to King's College, which is Josh's part of campus. Just wanted to show you how amazing it is).


After my kids' afternoon naps, I decided to take Rebekah's cues and lay low if we needed to, even tho I was desperate to get outside (and preferably to the beach) again. We all 3 leisurely had snacks and played on the rug for an hour together and, low and behold, she said "Let's go to the beach!" And that's just what we did!



Kate loaned me this great hip sling that allows me to carry Luke on my hip but isn't that cumbersome to put on. This was my sweet view at the beach. :)

Then, as was my plan, we hit Burger King and got whatever we wanted! I was sooooo excited- Luke fed himself french fried, burger, and chicken!! He also ate broccoli cheese soup and chicken casserole I brought him. He isn't a huge fan of feeding himself, but, for some reason I LOVE making my baby food and watching my babies happily eat it (and junk food, I guess!). Just look at those fat cheeks and little fingers. LOVE this kid.


Love how serious he is while choosing which tasty morsel he'd like.

Luke was KILLING me! He had this lady's attention and was doing all his tricks- without being asked (little show off)! He clapped, did "so big," and even blinked at her which is our game (we blink back and forth at each other and giggle)- she was smitten!! How could she not be?- see below for clapping and so big.


I have also been trying to catch up around the house, as well as relax- not much relaxing, I guess. Oh well. That's never been my strong suit.

p.s. Tonight I told Rebekah it was almost bed time, to which she replied, "Just let me know..."

I'll tell you about tomorrow and Thursday in the next post. ;)

9 comments:

Mary said...

"Just let me know..." seriously? Wow the girl is a brain. Has a brain...whatever. She's a little adult for sure!! I might need your hip sling soon--gonna be toting a newborn and Charlie from place to place! She is walking but you know how it takes a long time for them to do it full-time. Thanks for the encouragement about my hair. Not doing anything yet but we'll see how I handle three kids :)

Andrea G. said...

Good thing you did the previous post first so Josh knows he really is missed :) So glad it is going so well and you could make it to the beach! I love the pictures of Luke eating. I still stand by my belief that he looks just like your dad! :) Thanks for calling. Always a blessing to get to hear your sweet voice!

Carley said...

Looks like you guys are having a good week without Josh. It'll be interesting when Jason goes on trips and I'm the sole entertainer. :) I love hearing Rebekah's vocabulary stories. She's one smart little lady. By the way, thanks for all the recipes. I am planning on making my own baby food so I might need any tips you have there. :) Hopefully the next couple days will go fast for you....I always have good intentions on "resting" when Jason's gone but that never happens either....I like to have projects and things to do so slowing down takes effort sometimes. Always enjoying seeing your pics and hearing about your lives!

Anonymous said...

Emily!!! How beautiful to be doing so many outdoor activities with the kiddos! Your mom is so excited to be coming soon, and I know you will enjoy her being there. R is getting to really be a cute little lady and Luke is definitely keeping you busy!! Know that I think of you often and love you!
:) Dee xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Emily!!! How beautiful to be doing so many outdoor activities with the kiddos! Your mom is so excited to be coming soon, and I know you will enjoy her being there. R is getting to really be a cute little lady and Luke is definitely keeping you busy!! Know that I think of you often and love you!
:) Dee xoxoxo

melissa said...

Wow, when were you at BK and the beach?! I was there too for lunch and a stroll on Tuesday with Jamie and my folks. Weird!!

Michelle said...

LOVE the pics and so impressed by little Rebekah!!! SHe is so smart!!!

Shannon said...

Preeeeecious!! Can I say that both of your kids are gems? Sure, I can. You love 'em and totally agree. :)

Truly, the close-up pic of Luke is KILLER, and I love the closing line of Rebes, "Just let me know." So agreeable. So sweet. Surely you are the BEST mom!!!

Love you too much!

Derricca said...

Em,

I love seeing pics of your sweet children! This is the second, or even third time I have looked at these pics. :)

Remind me again where you get those bows. I can't help myself but put that girly stuff in her hair!