Friday, April 03, 2009

Am I really posting this???

Only because Luke has had a very traumatic week am I actually owning up to all this!

So, you already know that Josh was out of town this week (safely back, thank you!). The kids and I had a great time, but poor Luke! I foolishly set him on the very edge of my bed while grabbing a sweatshirt for myself. As I turned my back, I told Rebekah, who was playing with him, not to move so he wouldn't fall. As I told my family, famous last words. She did in fact move (maybe to watch him fall) and he face-planted into the carpet, leaving a yellow bruise on his nose and carpet burn above his lip. We cried together, but truth be told, other than a bad mood, he is no worse for the wear and the bruise disappered that day.

Sadly, the next day, as is his lazy custom, Luke decided to quit helping support his body weight on my hip and just went slack, thus banging his head on the hard metal door on our building. Another good cry and bad mood. :(

(Billy - this is for you)

Today, he decided to just start off in a bad mood- I kid you not, the child just fussed off and on the first half of the day. He has 3 teeth I can see below the gums and I am blaming them. :) Anyway, he had a shorter morning nap (1 hr 15 min), so I had to put him down earlier in the afternoon, thsu making me worry he would nap poorly again. R was a wreck at play group, so I figured she would crash. Well, I was totally backwards. She had an imaginary picnic in her bed and Luke crashed for 3 hours, at which point I awakened him. He seemed in much better spirits and even helped me make dinner. :) So, the real trouble began at dinner. My stomach started doing somersaults and communicating just general discontent. I tried to go to the bathroom to no avail. Took some Tums. We decided to take a walk against my better judgment. I didn't feel like messing with a stroller, so I strapped Luke to my front and off we went. On the way back, the grumbling began again. I felt like I needed to run to our flat. As it was, I was very rude to our neighbors as I brushed by, fumbled with the key, jogged into the bathroom, and barely made it to the bathroom- poor baby still strapped on. Meanwhile, Rebekah is happily eating ice cream with her no-good father :) and asks "Mommy, how's your deuce?" (Thanks, Josh.) I would never have posted this except it gets worse and needs to be shared. (Maybe you disagree). Tomorrow, we're having dinner with friends and don't want to have to rush out for kids' baths. So, tonight was bath night. In the midst of bathing Luke, it begins again. No biggie, right? The toilet is literally 2 feet away, what can happen? REBEKAH can happen. In one swift move, she decides to help bathe Luke, thus knocking him UNDER the water!! Mid-poop (yes), I say, "Oh, crap! Oh, crap!" (ironic) and lunge for my submerged baby who is madder than a hornet, but thankfully okay after he spit up all the water he swallowed. Sadly, my body still needs to do what it needs to do, so little Buddy, wet and naked, is on my lap again for the experience ...sigh...this reminds me of when Rebekah water-boarded him as a brand-new baby because she was trying to give him a drink of water since he was crying. If he makes it to his first birthday in a couple weeks, I'll be astonished.

14 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Emily I LOVE THAT YOU POSTED THIS. Makes us all feel right at home and not crazy ourselves :) Bless your heart!

safmomma said...

Thank you sooo much for posting this. That is hysterical. It's nice to know that other people live in chaos with us. God Bless!

Shannon said...

Don't know what to say about this...

Carley said...

That's the funniest blog I've read in a while!! Thanks for posting it and being vulnerable with your stories. :) Looks like I have a lot to look forward to with motherhood.....

Jill said...

Oh my gosh. Emily, I am laughing OUT LOUD at my desk reading this. Josh, you are so mean to teach Rebecca phrases like DEUCE!!! She will SO be the kid asking a teacher that when they come back from the bathroom! "So, Miss So-And-So, was it a deuce?" Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Luke, good luck, buddy. Babies of the family are always the victims of older-sibling cruelty. And if that's not bad enough, there are also cousins (like in my case). It will make him easy-going, though...

Have a good weekend- hope you start feeling better!

Geer Family said...

It's great to write down days like this so you'll have them years later. Might as well been living here in the DR with those tummy problems! Sickness always comes at the worst times. I got sick like that last Thursday night, which is the ONLY night of the week that neither Scott or the maid is here. Go figure!

saras said...

Okay, I don't care what anyone says everyone loves a good poop story. It will definitely provide laughter in your house for awhile, which is GREAT!

Andrea G. said...

I remember the water bottle incident! :) Elizabeth fell off the bed too this week when I decided to put on a sweater too... no big brother around though. Hope this week is less eventful :)

Geer Family said...

didn't know how else to communicate back to you about your most recent comment on my blog...your words gave me the chills about us having so much in common...it is so true!

M. Schlansker said...

Love the story..too funny and helps make motherhood real :)

Korrin said...

Emily I have to say I did have to laugh out loud on that one! You are a riot! Love you!

Amanda RH said...

That's hilarious! I'm sure you didn't think so at the time. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

ROTFL!! I'm totally cracking up!

Crap is my swear word of choice too. :)

maweiss said...

Emily I just love reading your postings . . . and this one was the BEST! You DO paint wonderful word pictures!! I hope you are keeping copies to give the kids when they get in their teens.
Joy and Blessing to you all.
Marianne