Thursday, April 16, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday, Luke!

17-ish April, 2008


(the weekend we came home from the hospital)

(my jaundiced boy)

17 April 2009

How are you one already?! Here you are, rightfully turning one. Good boy. ;)

Luke, allow me to brag on you a bit. We are so proud of you, son. I can tell by the way your Dad asked Mamama if you seemed much changed since Christmas. Since you are still stationary, I chuckled to myself, but also was touched by the pride in your daddy's voice as he asked. Of course, you have changed since Christmas! You are our big boy and you even tell us with your hands sometimes! You can clap, feed yourself, and do the splits in any direction. You giggle at your sister more often and look even more adoringly at me, if possible. Your smile fills and lights up your entire face and your chuckle is from the bottom of your belly and bubbles out at the most unexpected times. You have the biggest Mama crush known to infants and I am finally feeling honored instead of baffled (or smothered ;)). You love being outside, which means you will be my little companion for life, or at least until you are too cool for your mom (which is definitely hard to imagine right now).


As for your sweet little looks, you are pure McCord...

-and your dad calls you a McCordian- rightly so. You are a precious combination of your grandfather, grandmother, uncle, and mother, and we are tickled to see ourselves in your face and even your mannerisms. Your mouth is my dad's, your eyes are my mom's, but set like my brother's. Your hands are deliciously chubby and I have never seen more movement anywhere. You gesture and wring your hands like my brother, too. I think you two could sit and do nothing together for hours. And your feet...

...don't even get me started. I think the Lord gave you those feet to forever endear you to me. I LOVE those feet. They are plump and tender. They are the softest little things I have ever felt (except for under your chin) and you treat them like hands- they spin in circles when you are excited or tickled and delight me to no end.

I believe that you are an introvert. I know that you are fiercely loyal and very loving. I can see that you are contemplative and very observant. You like to see how things work and touch various textures, much like your father and mother respectively. You definitely like to watch what's going on before getting involved- so I am guessing that you are cautious. You have a great sense of humor and seem to intuitively know when something's funny. I am antsy to see who you become, too.

I pray that you put your trust alone in Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins. I pray that He calls you to Himself soon and that He will keep you as pure and innocent as possible until that day and thereafter. However, as Jesus advised, I pray that you also be shrewd and not easily fooled or manipulated. I pray that you will love righteousness and despise wickedness. I pray that you will be a lover of people and one to quickly show mercy. From what I think I know of you, I pray that you will be a gentle, but firm leader and a compassionate, loving husband. I pray that you will be faithful to the Lord and to your family the way Christ has been faithful to us. I also pray that you will be confident in our love and joy in and for you, regardless of what you do. Being a younger sibling, it will be natural to compare yourself and honestly for us to compare you to Rebekah. However, you could not be more different and from the day I knew I was pregnant with you, I have prayed for that very thing- that you would have your own identity and not be consumed by a shadow. You are you and that is the very best thing you could be.

Luke, I love you more than I could ever express. I am not always so good at this Mommy thing and tend to make things harder than they have to be. Forgive me when I mess up- it will happen a lot. Just know that you are my boy, my little man, and you have brought me great joy.

p.s. HUGE thanks and props to RO (aka Rachel Owens), who not only took these pics for FREE, but also pursued doing it, as if we were doing her a favor....Rachel, seriously, these are wonderful and I am so thankful.

14 comments:

Mark and Rachel said...

Happy birthday, buddy! Can't wait to watch you continue to grow...and walk! Great post Emily :)

Mary said...

On the verge of tears...such a sweet post for your little man. I don't think it's a bad thing he hasn't moved yet--Charlie is so proud of everything else he can do you see...and let me just say that now that she is walking I keep thinking, "Why did I want her to do this? It's so much more work for me!!" Just yesterday at the mall where we ran into y'all, she bolted for the exit maybe 300 times. Drove me nuts. She looks at me right at the exit and giggles then takes off down the hall. Um, and I've disciplined her for it close to 300 times. She doesn't care. The pictures of Luke are so precious--My favorite is the one where he's looking over your shoulder and you're smiling at him. Please please get this one enlarged and put it somewhere forever :)

Nana Phyllis said...

Happy Birthday sweet boy! Your Nana and Papa are wishing we could get in on some hugging and loving on you on your special day.Grandmama will have to do double duty! We love you so much and love the pictures. Hope to get copies of some of them. Thanks to Rachel for a great job.
Nana and Papa

Mary said...

I forgot to be specific about my favorite picture--like it matters--the one of the two of you outside where he is peeking over your shoulder...

Carrie Sterner said...

Tears is all I can say. You are a great mama Emily, a great writer, and Luke is blessed to be your son. I miss you tremendously today!

Love, love the pictures. First one is amazing! He has so many sweet expressions. I too most adore the one of you with him in your arms. Priceless. He really is so cute and so handsome all wrapped up in a ball of blond-haired blue-eyed chub (a chub I am familiar with and his is one I wish I could indulge in).

Know that you are all dearly loved and sorely missed today, and always.

Smiley Jane said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! We love you so very much Baby Luke. We think and pray for you often. The pictures are amazing! I love the black and white one of you two. He will cherish it always. What a sweet boy. Why must November come so slowly?

Korrin said...

Happy Birthday Luke! Emily I seriously can't believe he is one, where does our time go? The pictures are precious, my favorites are the ones with both of you in them. Have a great time celebrating!

Geer Family said...

Your prayer inspires me....thank you!

Bethany said...

Love the pictures!!! I'm sure he'll have changed even more so the next time ya'll are in Victoria when I can see ya'll again! :)

saras said...

Truly love the pics, they are awesome!!! Happy Birthday Luke!

Becky McCord said...

Can I get a 5X7 of that first pic of Luke to frame? I'll pay whoever whatever. He is just precious. When I brought his picture up Riley said "Luke!"

Andrea G. said...

Sweet tears of joy are rolling down my face friend! What beautiful pictures and beautiful words! I love that first one and the sweet feet! Hope your day was special and so glad your mom could be there! Tell Gayle hello and love from Iowa!

trina said...

This was very sweet ~ the words and the pictures. These are some really really great pictures of Luke. (well done, Rachel!)

Kristen E. said...

Aw so sweet Em! I can't believe your little guy is one! I remember when he was born. Such a sweetheart, and I love to see all the pics. You are a wonderful mom Emily, and you have two very precious children. Your prayer for Luke brought tears to my eyes. Miss you!