Monday, November 03, 2008

Halloween Part 3

I'll admit it, I am a total slacker when it comes to Halloween or most holidays. Until the DAY of the event, I convince myself that we don't need costumes or special attire to make the holiday special. Then, that day comes and I am mad at myself.

I think this goes back to my childhood and even my teaching career. As a child, I went to school with a bunch of prissy girls. Don't get me wrong, I am too, but not to that level. They had outfits for every holiday, with matching bows to boot! Out of crazy envy, I determined I would NOT fall prey to that and so I didn't. I am confident, looking back, that had my mom known how important it was to me to fit in and to have such holiday-appropriate clothing, she would have bent over backwards to obtain it for me. I don't know why I never said anything, I just didn't. So, Valentine's Day would come and I wouldn't have a special tee-shirt, so I would cut out and safety pin on various hearts to my clothing. Not only did I look foolish, I was even less cool than I had been before.

Fastforward to teaching high schoolers- I vowed to them and to myself that I would never match my clothing to the holiday and I didn't. So, when I had kids, I kind of just ignored the commercialized holiday garb. I think I bought one onesie for Rebekah that said Ho Ho Ho on it. Other than that, I don't buy things that can't get worn past a certain date. It all sounds good until the holiday actually arrives. For 3 years now, I have kicked myself for not putting in more effort. Actually, last year I did manage to get a pumpkin suit for R, but totally forgot about a shirt, hair thing, tights, and shoes. It all panned out, tho, and she looked presh!! So, the day after Halloween, I busted my tail to get to Target so I would not let my kids down the next year. I knew I was preggers but still didn't know little buddy was a boy, so I got a gender-neutral costume for the baby and something cute for Rebekah. But, then, we moved halfway around the world and suitcase space was way too precious to use up for costumes. So, I looked around haphazardly and instead of spending 7 pounds for a full fairy princess dress, I spent 1 pound on a Princess Fairy "skirt", headband, and wand for Rebekah. Not a penny on little man- Mamama got him jammies that have sheriff written on them, so R and I made him a badge that said "Sheriff Luke." While fairly lame, it was the best pound I will probably ever spend. Rebekah was THRILLED with her skirt, headband, and wand, and has worn them with every outfit, including jammies, every day since. Luke is lovingly oblivious to it all. (can I just say, I am sooooo excited to get her Xmas presents this year!!!!!!! I have sooo many ideas!)

Please note Rebekah holding the play phone in every picture.

She LOVES that car!! Creche (word for free nursery for little ones here) is a big hit due to that phone and car.

Our pal, Lily (her mom is Kate who I pictured a few weeks ago. Kate is due with #2 in March)

Our other pal, Ethan, and his pregnant mommy, Miss Rachel

The church play group. It wasn't the same as lining them all up in Iowa and cracking up as they all cried. Very few cried here...such a shame...:)

Rebekah told me she put Mickie down for a nap, that she was tired and needed a wittle rest. :) Thsi was right after I heard her telling Mickie to be good girl, that she would see her when she woke up, and to make sure she kept her pull-up dry so she could get a popsicle.

4 comments:

Carrie Sterner said...

Rebekah is going to be such a good mommy as she is getting lots of practice. Isn't it humbling watching them soak up EVERYTHING we do! Talk about accountability.

That picture of Luke, just precious. Way to be thrifty Emily and to make both the kiddos ready for Halloween. I am like you, I don't buy stuff specific for a holiday because I am to anal to wear something after that date. Waste of money.

Have a blessed Monday!

Mary said...

Too funny!! Great job on the costumes--they looked cute and you didn't have to kick yourself for spending too much on something that they wouldn't play "dress up" in later...those are the only costumes that I can talk myself into...that or buying them at a resale store. This year Charlie wore a costume that I bought for 4.99 and Ty's was new (19.00 I think,) but he will play in it for a long time. I'm waiting on Sean to edit the pics so I can put them on my blog :) Your kids looked so cute!

Nana Phyllis said...

We never spent much on costumes either. Resale shops are great. So fun that Rebekah loves her outfit and keeps wearing it. She is a little princess. Good time to look is after the holiday, but who knew you'd be across the pond?? They do look adorable - fun play group.

Nana

Michelle said...

So cute! Every Princess needs her phone!