Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Things I have been thinking about

Well, we are in our 4th week here and I have mostly focused on the kids on the blog. That is twofold- first, they're extremely cute and the world needs to recognise that. (Like my British spelling there?) Also, family and friends already appreciate their cuteness and need it on a daily basis.

Today, however, I thought I would highlight some things that I like about Scotland. Those of you who have managed to keep up with me know that this is a brave post for me because this has been a tough transition for me. :)

The grocery stores- they have a variety of Asian selections, for example, that rival what I am accustomed to. :) In fact, I even found an Asian salad dressing, Udon noodles, and a sweet chili sauce that I love! Plus, UK carts can roll forward and sideways! So, when you're in somebody's way, you just roll sideways instead of trying to reverse and push past!

Our church is gorgeous, as are all kirks here! They are indescribably majestic and growing up in mostly plain churches that prided themselves on being plain because it showed godliness somehow, it has been awe-inspiring to worship somewhere that shows respect for the Lord in its willingness to sacrifice personal luxuries for the beauty of the church.

The people are friendly and proud of their heritage- just ask them!

Driving on the left side of the road- hey I'm up for a good challenge every now and then!

Our flat has grown on me- it borders 2 play areas- which is rare for here. Having 3 bedrooms is almost unheard of! Plus, we have lots of windows and some really bright and warm lights that I assume help mitigate the darkness of the winter. Being so close to the U has allowed Josh to come home often and for lunch.

My children- they are a slice of familiarity, altho I was worried I'd forgotten how to mother solo. Alas, I am doing just fine and both kids are thriving! Luke may not think so, but all 5 month old fuss now and then! I was also worried R would flip out when she had to share me again- she has been wonderful and has even shared her favorite toys with Luke!

My husband- he has been on middle of the night duty since we got here. Luke kind of sleeps thru the night- I bragged too soon!- and Josh is the one to check if he has a poopy and do what needs to be done. He also gets up with the kids so I can keep sleeping!

My online job- I am getting paid handsomely for work I really like. I still get to be at home and work mostly when the kids are sleeping. This allowed us to get a car and to travel in the future (tho sadly not to the future).

The neighbors who have to hear Luke cry in the middle of the night have been quite gracious and are NOT the ones who won't let me store our stroller downstairs. That neighbor needs Jesus. Enough said.

I have some new friendships burgeoning, tho it is extremely difficult getting both kids and myself out and back before Luke loses it due to tiredness! However, the women here have been including me in some plans, which is really sweet. 2 of the women are having their 2nd children next semester. There is also a baby and toddler play group at our church on Fridays. I think I will try that, too. A good number of my new friends (we're connected thru a group they call Aberdeen Women's Fellowship) attend the same church we do, so it's fun to run into them at church.

As I watch people grab their laundry off the lines b/c it's raining, I am thankful for a dryer, however ridonculously small it is. :) I also am glad for a "full-size" freezer (read that as larger than my hand) and dishwasher, which is very nice.

So, that's the stuff I'm glad for! I'll keep ya posted!

5 comments:

Shadley said...

Great post! It's the little things. I am dying to hear what your online job is!!!! I need one! :)

Carrie Sterner said...

Way to go my optimistic friend. I know that God will provide, provide, provide for you. Just what you need. When you need it. I so grateful that He takes such good care of you.

No doubt in my mind that it is a matter of time before some women find you, a diamond in the rough. They will be so blessed!

Miss you.

jamie said...

GOOD JOB EM! love the grocery cart idea- maybe someday it'll come here! :)
love ya sister

Shay said...

I'm proud of you, sweet friend! What an adventure you're on right now. :-) I, too, am curious about your online job...do tell!

Shannon said...

I read this as "Things I can Thank God for in the Midst of my Circumstances!" Bravo, Emily. Your teachability and vulnerability once again show off how godly you truly are!! And I learn so much from you.

I love you!!