Monday, October 13, 2008

My online job

I think about 50 of you (like I have that kind of public) have asked about my online job. Long story short, an old friend of mine from college called me last January and asked me to write some study sheets for an online curriculum company. We were English majors together and she knew I had gone on to teach, etc. So, it was great money and before Luke was born and we thought it would be a good way for me to be productive, save for Scotland, and keep my foot in the door for education. It ended up being very easy because I just made fill-in-the-blank questions for students taking the course. The curriculum has been designed for a variety of students: those in a lab at a school, those homeschooling, those getting an alternative education. Well, I finished quickly enough that i was able to squeeze in some editing before Luke was born. I took time off from any contracts to have Luke and get moved. This last contract has been the hardest, most rewarding, and definitely the most fun. I am actually writing curriculum for students with low reading skills. I have certain parameters, but I get to teach and model it thru media however I want. So, they give me a topic and I write a unit with activities and quizzes, etc to teach and assess it. I am writing 5 units, 1 every 2 weeks for 10 weeks. Then, we get a brwak for Thanksgiving- good thing- it's a pretty big deal across the pond. Then, assuming they want to keep me :), I will accept another contract December-March. Oh- when and how do I work? I put the kiddos down for their afternoon nap at the same time- Luke usually sleeps 2-3 hrs and Rebekah does her standard 1 1/2 hrs. I kill myself making sure they go down at the same time and since Luke was born, I haven't missed the mark too many times! So, I work during their naps and then Luke goes down at 6:30 or 7-ish and Bekah hits the pillow at 7:30-7:45ish. Josh and I both work and take ice cream breaks. I actually have more than enough time and am loving it! It's greta money and a great use of my skills. I am hoping to do some Spanish curriculum in the future b/c I wrote my own curriculum for 4 years when teaching Spanish 1 and 2.

Hope that covers it!!

p.s. My brother alwyas gave me a hard time for never slacking in college- I always said, first,l I'm not as smart as you and can't pull it off the morning of and if I have to teach this stuff, I'd better actually know it! 3 things have come from my diligence (aka lack of social life b/c Josh was my first boyfriend): 1) I got to skip student teaching and make real money from day 1, 2) I got a great job at an elite Christian private school, and 3) my friend remembered my hard work from a class and called me for this job! While I make NOWHERE near the money Billy does, I am still glad I worked hard in college. :)

4 comments:

HoB said...

Wow... that sounds just like you Em. I wish I worked half as hard as you. :)

Grandmama said...

I'm very proud of you sweetheart!

Michelle said...

Hey you always did a great job editing my papers! Thanks for that!

M. Schlansker said...

Sounds like the perfect job for a mommy/teacher. Maybe I should find a job like that once our little one arrives. So glad you guys are all doing well. We are anxiously counting the days we have left.