So, if you've seen V for Vendetta, you are a step ahead of the game. 5 November is Guy Fawkes night. The sounds you hear are not gunfire, affirming your fears that you live in the Scottish ghetto (last year's experience). In fact, they are fireworks, and the yelling is the revelers' enjoyment of burning things. This year, the kids were old enough to get to see ad experience their very first real fireworks. We decided to accept a friends' invitation to go out to Banchory for their weekend fireworks when we saw how excited Rebekah was about the "polkadots in the sky" that she saw throughout the week. Once again, we are reminded what crazy things Scots get away with. Fireworks are EVERYWHERE and if their are limits, I've never seen them!
We ate dinner (we actually had a full day- thankfully, r slept til 7;30 and Luke til 8:30 b/c we attended a birthday party this morning, had lunch, Luke and I took great naps, then we hopped in the car for the 45 minute drive (it takes 45 min to travel 19 miles here- crazy) to Banchory, where we celebrated Guy Fawkes) at the Zieglers' place, and the second we got there, their oldest boy (Andrew 11) asked for Luke! Andrew is a doll and was so excited to play with him. Luke was a great sport and I was able to eat dinner with him in another room! Then, we all loaded up and drove out the the bonfire- evidently, it's fun to burn this guy- seemed odd to me.
This is a cruddy pic, but you can see "Guy Fawkes" on top of the bonfire.
I love getting the kids treats and presents, so I was happy to see glow necklaces and got one for each of them- a big hit!
Sadly, I forgot to bring an extra battery and this was where the camera died. However, Luke rode on Josh's shoulders and I held Rebekah for the fireworks. Once again, I find myself surprised and very proud- both my children were in awe and not at all scared!!!! The fireworks were wonderful and since there's not exactly a 4th of July celebration here, this will have to tide us over for a while. We brought 2 very tired children home and both were in bed by 8:30.



5 comments:
What a fun day! So glad you got to experience more of the Scottish culture. I imagine it was fun to be back in Banchory for the visit! We certainly enjoyed our time there in July. 4 more days!!!!
So that's why we've been hearing fireworks all week! Cooper kept getting out of his bed to watch from his window. I was shocked that people could set them off in the city. Seems strange to me considering the major restrictions (or so I've heard) on things burned in chimineas and grills.
Fun! Great new family pic/header. No I see why they call it "bonfire night." I was thinking the same thing about how odd it was that there are no limits to people setting off fireworks IN THE CITY. Our neighbors were at it again last night as we headed to bed at 10pm. Thankfully, the "finale" was just as I climbed under the covers :)
What a fun evening!! Great photos -
Love you and Rebekah in pink! Thanks for enlightening me!
Post a Comment