I have really been persuaded by recent reading no to push early learning except by context. For example, I am not prone to showing Rebekah flashcards and making her memorize her letters. I did tell myself, though, that I would teach her anything (I could) that she wanted to know. Today, she decided to wanted to learn how to write. I told her she would need to know her letters first. She has never been interested in actually recognizing specific letters before today. Today it was only because it was a prereq to what she really wanted to do: write like Mommy.
This is her first "R"- I loved it.
In other news, we are doing great! These past few days have been much better than I anticipated. The kids are adjusting extremely well and are almost back on track, as are we. Josh always takes the longest, poor thing, but he is sleeping well. I will spare you the details, but it really does get easier each time- maybe just knowing what to expect is half the battle.
I have bee pleased how quickly and naturally I have settled back in. Driving on the wrong side of the road, I mean the left side, has been a snap. Plus, God was nice enough to relieve Aberdeen of a month's worth of snow and ice just as we were arriving, so it hasn't been that bad, though very gloomy and dark around 4pm. I have spent time with friends, too, which is always wonderful. I really love our flat and we feel so comfortable here- the kids went right back to their old ways here. So nice.
Luke is just growing up every minute. Since he started walking, I feel as if he has caught up developmentally in one big step- literally. ;) He is talking all the time! Today he said so many new words and he learns so fast! He walked up to the oven, put his sweet little hand on the outside and said "Ot!" until I looked him in the eye and said, "Yes, buddy, hot." He labels everything he knows as he passes it and will point until he learns a new word. He also hums/grunts "uh uh uh" to a certain tune until you sing the song he wants, then he grins and "sings" along. I marvel at what a fun little boy he is.
Rebekah really enjoyed our one-on-one time today during Luke's nap. I think it rejuvenated her. Hours later, she smiled sweetly at me and said, "Thank you, Mommy, for teaching me my letters." Sweet girl. She doesn't know them, by the way, but she has learned the letters in her name.
All in all, I ma feeling oh so content with my life, even here in Aberdeen and am thankful for all the Lord is teaching me during young mamahood and being so far away from family. :)



7 comments:
I am extremely happy that you are happy!! I love the letters that R is wanting to learn - she'll have them down in no time if her interest remains.
Thank you Kate and Aberdeen friends for loving on my girl!!
That is an AMAZING first "R!" I love the math comment too! :) David also much prefers the math over the writing, and anything instead of fine motor practice :) Praise the Lord for your contented heart!
Excited to hear that y'all are feeling back at home there! I'm sure your family misses you after having you here!
I totally agree about not forcing things on my kids~strangely all Ty wanted to do for a long time was look at letters and numbers...instead of learning how to pretend and relate to other kids! ha!
I am so happy to hear how easy it was for you to adjust to getting back home! Thats awesome. I am one who tends to get kinda down after being with family and coming back home, (although I know not the same,being so far away) so I can imagine how good it feels to be content!
That is a great R by the way! Did you make the dots for her to connect? Just curious, it looks like you did...that is what I do with Abigail. We just do the letters in her name from time to time.
Becka will be writing letters to Nana and Papa before you know it. Love the R. You're wise to let her progress as she is interested. So thankful for your contented spirit in Aberdeen. It is going to be a great year! We already miss you, though.
What a wonderful post, Emily. I love hearing how you've grown more and more content with life in Aberdeen! Praise the Lord. I knew it would happen. ;-)
Wait, which 'R' is hers?
Post a Comment