Friday, January 08, 2010

Chuck E. Cheese

Yesterday it was 20 degrees, so no outside activities. My parents took us all to Chuck E Cheese. Josh, Dad, and I played a lot of skee-ball, basketball, and air hockey. We did also play with the kids. :)

It's always important to have cute hair and a cute new outfit to debut at such a fun place.

Luke liked to help Daddy shoot baskets. (Josh and my dad had a pretty intense competition going on basketball...Dad had been complaining all morning about having to go to CEC, but ended up having a blast.)

This is how Luke plays skee-ball.

And again- my daughter. At least my mom knows how to smile- Dad is a grown-up and really has no excuse- not only did he not smile, he did not look at the camera. Geez.

Look! No hands!

Mom- did you see the huge mouse? Luke stared this guy down for a while and then finally walked up for a handshake.

They loved doing the same things at the same time (yes, Andrea, I think it is the girl first thing that really makes this happen- she is majorly mini-mom to Luke, and he just adores her)

I loved Josh's excited face for Rebekah, who had just scored.

Luke and I were a team- you never know when you'll need a balloon. Look at that face. Oh my.

I am having one of those days where I simply can't believe my blessings from the Lord. Josh is such a good husband to me and these kids of ours are just awesome. This is a wonderful, fulfilling stage of life. :)

p.s. We just started reading Gospel-Powered Parenting (by William Farley), and it is awesome! More than just do's and don't's, this book really focuses on the heart of the Gospel and its transforming power in your child's life and the way you parent. I laughed that he credited his authorship of the book to 2 things: 1) Proverbs and 2) reformed theology. Reformed thinkers really are the best, no? I love theology that says the Gospel is the answer. For now, I leave you with some of his opening thoughts in chapter 1: you are either a defensive or offensive parent, meaning you either assume your child's conversion and then try to protect them from the world, or you assume the power of the Gospel in your child's life and believe that God will use it in their lives, thus freeing you to put your children in the world. Since Josh and I are pro-public school for this very reason, we were psyched. Our prayer has been that Rebekah and Luke will be influencers in the public school system, and the only way I can stomach the thought of them exposed to the world is by believing that the truth of the Gospel will guard them.

*side note: if you are for homeschooling or private school, I am not trying to pick a theological fight with you. This is just how we feel convicted at this time and it is not a salvation-issue, so we can still be friends. ;)

Anyway, I will report back with more later.

9 comments:

Derricca said...

Of course you must have the cute hair and outfit for such occasion! :) I love the picture of you sitting down with your kids on your lap. It's a sweet one!
We will have to go there some time, it looks like a blast!

Kate E. said...

1. You need to teach me how to do hair. Poor Lily has a mop on her head and her momma doesn't know how to fix it.
2. Your poor dad. Quit picking on him. :)
3. I'd like to read that book, so read fast. :)
4. Glad we can still be friends, although after the past couple months we've had, we are considering boarding school so we can get a break! (I'm only kidding, by the way. Don't want any hate comments.)

Andrea G. said...

So much fun! Love the hair pictures :) I have such a list of books to read, but that one sounds wonderful too!!!! I love your comments on it and feel the same way about public school.

codi said...

I love all the pics. Such adorable children. I just started that same book a few days ago and think it is going to be fabulous! So glad you are able to spend great time with family!

Shadley said...

ok all i can say is we are looking forward to next week when it suppose to be 20 and thinking of it as a heat wave :)

Sarah M said...

you got the gap sweater! it looks fab on you!

Carrie Sterner said...

Rebekah's hair is super cute! Looks like you guys are continuing to have a great time. The book sounds great too! Gotta love reformed theology. ;)

Rach said...

The picture of you with both kiddos is beautiful...it's a keeper!

Sarah said...

Whew, there for a minute I thought you were picking a fight with me. ;)

Please, oh please, teach me to french braid hair hair when you're in Iowa again. I think by next year, Julia should have enough hair to work with.