Monday, July 27, 2009

Our fun-filled weekend

Horse and pony show


Yesterday, R and I went into town for a few things and saw, to our delight, there was horse and pony show! We managed to find a parking spot, run our errand, and go to the show!! It was supposed to cost 5 pounds, but I didn't realize it, and the guy heard my accent (only time it has actually helped me) and took pity on me, claiming good diplomacy! So, we got to go in for free! I felt like I was in The Man from Snowy River with all the beautiful horses and riders.



There were also snacks and a few things, like slides and a bouncy house. We opted for strawberries/marshmallow kebabs (3 pounds- expensive!!) and a turn of 5 slides on this great slide!


Castle Fraser

We meant to hit this castle with Josh's parents, but ran out of time and good (or even moderately decent) weather. Banchory is 45 minutes to the west of Aberdeen, and puts us closer to this castle, Castle Drum, Crathes Castle, and cuts the drive to Balmoral in half. So, we determined to hit them all while here, and now we have!


This castle is a new favorite of mine! There was an amazing "secret playground" with very organic and creative things to play on.


(yes, he is mighty cute)

The gardens were walled in, and I felt like I was in "The Secret Garden." It was lovely.


The castle was very pretty of course, too. It reminded me of a blend of Crathes and Drum- not as castle-y as Dunnottar (ruins) or Edinburgh, but very cool all the same.


As I was walking around, and looking at the grounds, the mountains in the distance, and the castle/gardens, I thought to myself, "We live in Scotland." It was a happy thought, by the way. I also thought to myself, to get this view, you kind of exchange convenience for it. I have loveliness all around me, but no Target or household conveniences (save the washer). And, obviously, our family and friends are not here. It's not that I would choose one over the other or even have that option, I was just thinking about it. (I choose family, by the way ;))


Owens

For dinner that night our fun friends, Mark and Rachel, brought burgers and we got to grill on a beautiful evening! Plus, Rachel came ready to take 3 year old pics of Rebekah! We went to Crathes Castle and hopefully they'll turn out! I have no doubt about Rach's abilities, just Rebe's ability to smile on command. My next post will be some of the pics!!

Sunday Lunch

We have tried 2 churches while in Banchory. The first one was earlier (hard for Luke to nap first), didn't have a car park, and no creche (nursery) for the summer. Suffice it to say, we did not go back. The one we've gone to the last 2 weeks, I love! The people were super-friendly, and I was quickly invoted to their women's conference in Sept, and I am planning on going! Actually, the woman who invited me was Heidi, and I know we would be friends. :) In fact, after talking a bit, we realized we had met each other yesterday at the show, while watching our kids slide. Small world!

The pastor and his wife also had us for lunch today, knowing that we are only here for a few weeks. I was really touched. It was a delicious meal!! A roasted chicken, potatoes, and veggies, with a meringue pie and ice cream. Wow. They were precious people, and we are having them for dinner tomorrow! I told them I thought they were cheating- they have the gorgeous Scotland scenery AND the conveniences of the States: a full-sized fridge and freezer (with an ice maker!!), a dish washer, and a dryer!

Rebekah

Things she has said this week

I miss all my grandparents. :(

Mickie just got up from her nap. She wasn't obeying, but I didn't pop her bottom. (seeing my disapproving look for undiscplined poor behavior)...But she changed her attitude. She's learning.

Mommy, let's go to Burger King. (I explain that it is in Aberdeen, and we are in Banchory)...no, Mom (in exasperation). Pretend-Burger King. It's in the bathroom. It's for Mickie's party. Al her friends are there. It's a girls' trip...(I ask if Daddy is invited)...well, it is a girls' trip...but I guess it's a boys' trip, too. Daddy! You can come, too!

Can I have some fruit snacks for the road?

I'm real interested in that toy.

Mom, you can swing from my bed, but it makes your hands sore, so you have to be careful. (Um, have you been swinging from your bed during nap time?) Yes.

I'm going to nurse Mickie (lifting her shirt and feeling out her chest)- I think this side is full. (What?!)

Mickie likes milk. She likes strawberry milk, as well.

(Luke was crying, I don't remember why. He got banished for a few minutes :)) Why is he crying? (me- I don't know, sweetheart.) Is life real hard for him sometimes? (me- stifling a laugh, Yes.) It's not hard for me.

(we found a Scottish Old MacDonald book here. It's greatness- it was made in 1975 and there are some inappropriate drawings, such as Old MacDonald (in a kilt no less) beating a dog or in a wife beater. Anyway, Josh coerced me into singing it in a Scottish brogue. I apparently did poorly becasue every time since, R has asked me to sing it normally.

You can skype on your computer, but we two are going because it's Mickie's party...and you can come, too, when you're ready, you can just call us when you're ready to go. I just told Daddy he can come, he can just say 'I'm ready." Okay?" (I typed this as she said it- evidently we are back to the Burger King party)

Luke



Luke has gotten very mobile and still wants to climb everything!! He pulls up everywhere and actually let go and stood the other day! For the first time ever, he'll hold my hands and cruise along. I realize that this is a little delayed, but we'll take what we can get!

He understands sooo much- he also is communicating a lot, too! He has lots of different ways of saying "buh" (the b sound), which could mean: ball, bounce, bye bye, etc. He also says Nuh-Nuh when he's sleepy (this is a last resort when we've missed his signs). He actually said Be-kah the other day while looking for his sister. :)

This was my favorite. Little man is very much like me and was quite excited about cookie dough. The funny thing was that after he cleaned off the beater, he crawled to the cabinet where it goes, opened it, put it back in (still dirty, of course), and closed the cabinet, as if nothing had happened.

10 comments:

trina said...

Your kids are SO cute and funny! It looks like you're having a great time, but we'll be happy to have you back in Aberdeen soon!

Nana Phyllis said...

WOW! Sorry we missed that castle. Next year?? Pony show looks like quite a treat. I'm sure Bekah loved being so close to those beautiful horses. Love the updates on the kids. Bekah's thinking and sayings are precious. Luke is so handsome and changing so fast. He'll be walking before you know it. We're praying for you as you move on Wed. Tell Bekah Nana and Papa REALLY miss her and Luke. Off to VBS.

Carley said...

Loved seeing your pictures and reading your stories about your kids. So cute! :) You inspire me to remember to document Cody's sayings...someday. :)

Andrea G. said...

So much to take in!

LOVE the castle photos and you all under the arch!

Wonderful that the pony show was ready just for you and you could save your money for marshmellows and strawberries instead :)

Love the story about Luke putting the beater back in the cupboard and all Rebekah's pretending about BK and nursing Mickie!

It's okay about Old MacDonald. David asks me not to sing sometimes in the car now!

Geer Family said...

Life in Scotland looks like lots of fun and plenty of things to do with the kiddos. enjoy!

Mamama said...

Loved reading about your fun weekend and all the precious things Rebekah had to say! The pictures are great - gorgeous scenery. Can't wait to see the 3 year photos Rachel took! Family chooses you too!!
Love you,

Derricca said...

I just can NOT get enough of your sweet children's cheeks!!! Ooooh so precious. :)

Mary said...

Thanks Em. Mama Em that is. Yes, I too wish you lived next door so we could trade kids on hard days because Lord knows they don't pull the same crap with someone else. Can I type that on here? Ha! In a way I bet we talk more than if we lived close together though...about the real stuff. We'd no doubt talk about day-to-day things, (which would be nice,) but sometimes it helps to be able to write things out and read a response...then re-read it later.

Anyway, my point is to say thanks for the encouragement and to say that I'm always glad you're not oohey goohey about your babies either. I feel like an outcast sometimes! They are just amazing little people and as they grow you can see what God is doing in them I think that's the most exciting part. The baby stuff? Still wondering about it but I am grateful that the older ones can balance the hard days with a baby out. I think this is my longest comment ever on a post. Sorry!

Smiley Jane said...

Love it!! Those two are a pair. What a great combination. Rebekah is halarious. I cant' wait to pretend something with her in Nov. RJ will be all about that!

The Magsigs said...

Love all of the pics. I've had to catch up after being in Texas for 2weeks without my computer and limited access otherwise. By the way, I like that you made a Man From Snowy River reference...I really like that movie. Bill makes fun of me for it...imagine that :)