Friday, June 19, 2009

Flowers around our flat

I cheated here because these purple beauties are on campus (and not outside my flat), but I have often seen them lining doorways like this.

This is also on campus, growing in a stone wall, lining campus.

The rest are directly out front of our flat and our neighboring building.

This was last night at 10:10pm. Creepy, but we love it. The kids' rooms have blackout shades (and Luke's is the very classy tin foil on the window), so as long as the children are still sleeping, I am a fan of extra daylight. The sun also rises around 4am or maybe earlier. I guess it's dark from after 11pm until 3am-something. The problem for us is that we forget it's so late and saty up until 11 or 12, and then are tired the next morning!

I really just loved all those flowers and am hoping to learn how to garden in our next flat where we have our own "garden." At the very least, I will continue to grow basil, and hopefully coriander (aka cilantro), and rosemary...I'd love to try my hand at flowers, too. I wish my dad were here to teach me!! We do have a lovely hydrangea out front at the next place I am excited about b/c it is a personal fave!

6 comments:

Carley said...

What beautiful flowers! I'd love all the extra daylight too. That's fun! I'm excited to see your new place...sounds like a real blessing to you guys!

Nana Phyllis said...

Can't wait to see all these beautiful flowers. All the rain makes for beautiful growing things.

Holloway Clan said...

I hope you love Orchard Road every bit as much as we did. How I miss it and look forward to seeing your photos of it. The hydrangea is, indeed, gorgeous and will bloom and then dry until well into November.
Becky

Andrea G. said...

Conquered cooking so now you are taking on gardening? I always loved your dad's window boxes in Iowa :)

Emmy said...

Emily, I don't know how you do it - you are so brave about living in a completely different climate. I couldn't do it. The flowers are gorgeous. You really bring Scotland to life!!

Carrie Sterner said...

Love seeing all your flowers! I have been taking some around here in the last couple days so hope to post mine too, soon!