Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Update

I decided you were due for an update! So, here is what we're up to:

Josh finished exams and is reading/writing his master's dissertation (they call the paper for master's degree a dissertation and the big one for PhD a thesis, so it's backwards from the US). He'd like to finish it by August and is working hard to relate it to his overall topic for his PhD so that the reading and possibly even the writing (about 60 pages) will correlate to that topic: Eternal Generation of the Son (that Jesus is and has always been the son of God and was not created so- basically a lot on the Trinity and how it works)...sorry, if I butchered that, Josh.

Josh got 2 scholarships we are super-excited about, especially since I heard this week that more than likely I have been "laid-off" from my wonderful writing job. I don't know for certain, but as with all things economy-driven, my job is on the line because of limited resources. Please join us as we pray specifically for 2 things: 1) Friday a council is meeting on a scholarship that would be great for us, so we are praying for a favorable response to Josh's application and 2) that my writing job would be funded for the fall.

The kids are great!!! Luke is a new man with all his crawling- I find that he is often lurching out of my arms, trying to get at something- having him choose to be elsewhere is freeing for us both! I still get tons of wonderful snuggles, so it's really the best! I just love this age! He still takes 2 solid naps and sleeps 12 hrs at night- love it. :) He practically dived out of my arms in a store yesterday, saying "Ba ba ba ba ba ba!!!!!"- I looked at what he was looking at- a crate of balls! Smart lad. :) He is talking a lot these days and we are remembering his sister doing the same. Maybe we make slow movers, but fast talkers! He also loves to read! He has been handing me his favorite books to read, which is just delightful.

Rebekah is still a handful, but in the best way. She has memorized a lot of her books and loves reading to us, to Luke, and to her dolls. She is full-throttle most of the time, but has resumed napping most days and sleeps past 7am, which is crazy for her! Growing?? She is very tall and slender, regardless of the ridiculous amounts of treats I allow (and am cutting back on, I promise!) and no one can believe she is not quite 3. Speaking of, Rebekah is jazzed about her upcoming Burger King Princess Party- she turns 3 on July 12th and we will be blessed to have Josh's parents with us!

This brings me to our major life stuff- we are finishing up our time here in this flat. As hard as it was to adjust to life here, I find myself amazed that we have made it throught the first (and hardest in terms of change) year abroad. Even though I am very excited about our new flat, I still have so many memories here that I will always remember this one mostly fondly. :) So, where are we moving? I lovely little semi-dettached flat (meaning more hosue-like and not a part of a complex or buidling with multiple flats sharing an entryway) not 5 minutes form here, very close to Rebekah's school and nextdoor to the University! Look here for pics- currently our sweet friends, the Greens, live there and have managed to make it work for us to move in and get some of their great stuff! Thanks, Chris and Rachel! However, we are out of here on the 7th of July and don't move in til the 29th of July (with josh's parents here 3 weeks!), so we have been blessed to have been allowed to live in a great house in Banchory- it is about 40 minutes away and we love the town. We'll live there 2 weeks of Josh's parents' stay and another week or so beyond. It has 4 bedrooms, lots more space, 2 bathrooms (I think), a great yard with a slide, etc. Plus, we can explore the area surrounding Banchory during that time. It is a great transition/vacation time for us.

We are also still studying for the driving tests. We have read everything we can about the rules of the road and are now practicing for the test with mock exams. The exam will be multiple choice based on the laws, etc. The second part, however, is a little more fun. It is called the hazard perception test and is basically like a video game where you click the mouse every time you think you see a hazard developing- it could be a car blocking the road, a pedestrian crossing legally or illegally, sheep in the middle of the road, etc. The thing is that you have to click within a certain window as you see the hazard developing abd there is only one real hazard developing each clip. There might be some sort of warning sign or signal and then a series of events, that are actually pretty tough to see, developing. As long as you aren't clicking rhythmically, you aren't penalized for extra clicks, but you are supposed to be intentional. You get a 0-5 score and Josh and I MOSTLY have gotten to the point that we get a few 3's, mostly 4's, and some 5's. The authority here firmly believes that all collisions (not accidents because that implies nothing could have been done to avoid it) are avoidable with simple defensive driving techniques. I actually am enjoying practicing and- crazy enough- find myself driving more cautiously and defensively as a result. The intended purpose, I presume.

Some pics to reward you for all that reading:

Rebekah and Luke love to play in this "tunnel"


I had these overalls for Rebekah and my mom sewed pink bows on the turtles' heads to make them girly. I said I would cut them off if I had a boy and I did!

Love the dimples

Sometimes you wonder if your child has been awake for a while or if he has slept well.

Exhibit A: the hair

Exhibit B: the intense sleep lines down his face


...which lead me to conclude that this is one well-slept baby!

I just liked his face, as he was craning to see what I had for him...

The aforementioned haircut- if you slick it over, it looks fine. Sorry, Luke. I took this picture because Luke picked up an entire french fry and took a bite- yea, Buddy!

Rebekah's funny mind:

Do you hear me crying? (Me: No.) That's because I didn't mind you popping my bottom.

Could you sing a poopy song? I'm pooping now.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great update! Sounds like your vacation house will be wonderful--I'm so proud of Luke! See, those second ones just do it when they're ready and if I remember correctly he still SNOWED Charlie in his timing. What is it about tunnels?? My mom has one and they fight over it.