Friday, June 26, 2009

Skewl

You may recall my hesitation for Rebekah to start preschool (called nursery here). Well, Josh and I have been to 2 meetings, one of which involved taking Rebekah to see her classroom. If you ever want to speed-up making a decision, just tell your kid that she might be going to school and then the decision is made. It's done. No going back. Not with my child anyway. We talk about "skewl" every day, multiple times. She is soooooooooooooooo excited! So, she starts September 10th and I will go with her the first few times as she adjusts. She will only go for a shortened time, as well. Normally, it will be from 12:45-3:15 every day. We'll see. ;)


These are from the day we toured her campus and classroom. I had to discipline her earlier in the day and she was beside herself. Upon asking what was really wrong (she normally shakes off a spanking fairly quickly), she sobbed, "I really, really want to still go to my skewl." Evidently, she thought her attendance was based on good behavior. (mental note to self...) Anyway, I reassured her we were still going after her nap. The SECOND she woke up, she started giggling, "I'm ready! I'm ready for my skewl!" I got her and woke Buddy so we would make it on time. Josh met us there.


Here she is holding her packet of information, made just for her! there are pictures of what she'll do, as well as a picture of the sticker that will be on her peg for her jacket and backpack. Rebes is pretty thrilled she gets to take a backpack. Since hers is packed up right now, we settled on this purse as a suitable back-up for the visit.


This is the play room- I guess there are several classes, and they each have a set time for this play area. They work on various coordination things, like balance and climbing. These are not skills Rebekah (or I for that matter) possess, so I am a fan.


I liked all the arts and crafts in the rooms and halls. Crafts are much-anticipated by my little girl.


Rebekah is particularly excited about painting at an easel. Her new friend, Leah, is from Taiwan and does not speak a word of English, though her mother does.


This is Rebekah's actual classroom. She will be an "owl"- we did have to clarify that did not mean she dresses up as an owl. You probably can't see it, but along the far wall,t here is a sink and kitchen- they will bake together and we can buy Rebekah an art smock for baking and art work. For 2 pounds 50p, we can also spring for her weekly snacks. Interestingly, this is optional. I cannot imagine her reaction if we didn't allow her snacks. :( They are healthy, of course, and each child is supervised for teeth brushing afterward. They have their own brush, paste, and container for both, all with stickers to show whose is whose to avoid cross-contamination.


This is the reading area. Each teacher picks her own books, so you can bet we will make an appointment with her to see what she has chosen when we meet her. :) I can also, as a parent, come help with reading time, which sounds super-fun.

I imagine you cannot see them, but I was excited about the names of last year's students. Because of its proximity to campus, Rebekah's school is quite diverse and she will attend with many Muslim and international children. I LOVE that she does not question this, but sees it as a part of life. We did confirm that no religion or sex ed is intentionally addressed in nursery (tho with the varied backgrunds, who knows what might come out of a fellow classmate's mouth that the teacher has to deal with?).

Sweet one this afternoon.

When Rebekah picks her own shoes and socks, you can predict what she'll inevitably choose...

10 comments:

codi said...

I love her enthusiasm! She is so cute...the school looks super fun, too. She will have a blast.

Andrea G. said...

I am so excited for you guys! She will be the start Owl! She will thrive and love it! David doesn't totally get the school thing yet, but I am excited for him. He would have loved a tour and special meeting!

Jen Essington said...

Looks like so many fun things to do! Love the play area. Very impressed that they brush teeth right there at school :)

Carrie Sterner said...

What a wonderful place you have there. Rebekah is so obviously excited and will flourish there. How very fun. Still can't believe how big she looks! Love you guys.

The Magsigs said...

That looks like such a fun place. I'm sure she's going to love it! I wish we could find some place like that here for Luke.

Becky McCord said...

I have have only one thing to say... FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geer Family said...

Well hopefully A's enthusiasm will grow into R's. She starts a arts & crafts school tomorrow 3 days a week.

amanda said...

Em,
it's so great to see the cool classroom...i bet it will be hard for her to wait

Mary said...

Ok I read this a while back but forgot to comment! Live where R will go to school! It looks like a great time will be had by all-I love how excited she is. Yes the third baby is not the easiest-no baby is in my book you know that-and I've been surprised at how much the other ones have needed me/us in the night so that adds to the sleeplessness. Sigh. One day they will all be big enough to talk to...

Mary said...

Mm hmmm love where R will go to school friend DO NOT live there :)