Sunday, June 14, 2009

UK driving test

So, Josh and I have to get our UK driver's license within a year of moving here. That means by 8/9/09 (that translates to the 8th of Sept b/c the put the day first).

So, the test is broken into 2 parts: theory and practical.

Theory:

A) Pass a written, multiple-choice test. (which we are currently studying for)

This test is very specific to the UK. Types of pedestrian crossings (there are 4: zebra, pelican, puffin, and toucan), the color of lights a vehicle has (such as a blood transfusion vehicle (blue), a slow-moving vehicle (amber), or a doctor on call (green)), the documents you need to have (registration, MOT, SORN for a vehicle you're not driving, a tax disc- none of which are called the same thing in the US), your attitude about driving, because, don't we all know that good driving is more a result of the right attitude than the right aptitude (That's a quote)?.......etc.....

B) Pass a computer-scored hazard perception test

In this test, you are presented with a scene as if you are driving. You click the mouse every time you see something hazardous or that would affect your own driving (a pedestrian, a cyclist, something falling off a truck, etc.) There is a 5-second window for the click and you get more points the faster you click and fewer points the longer is takes you to perceive the hazard. Supposedly, the computer can detect and invalidate your score (thus failing you) for random clicks. There is a series of these scenes and supposedly practice makes perfect.

Practical:

You actually drive for 35 minutes with an instructor who looks for you to mess up. There are 4 types of mistakes (can't remember the names) and you can't have more than 16 and NO major ones. Yikes. This is the test that is tough to pass the first time.

We are planning on taking lessons due to the fact that we'd rather pay for lessons and get the ebnefit of the "tuition" and pass the first time (fingers corssed) that keep paying to fail. Plus, we have 2 very precious munchkins in the car with us and we'd like to keep them alive as long as possible. Plus, if they ask you for what classes you've taken, and you tell them none in a decidely American accent, they really have it in for you.

So, we bought some DVD instruction and practice tests/books from some friends here and are working on it a little every night. Josh is amazing at it. I still am working on common sense skills. :) We hope to take the theory asap and have the practical done by September.

Side note: each of the crossings is named for an animal that helps you remember it: (this is my version, I am still learning)

zebra: black and white stripes on the road
pelican: pedestrian with light sensor
puffin: pedestrian user friendly- the crossing can sense you're there and when you've crossed, thus slowing down traffic as minimally as possible
toucan: two can cross (pedestrians and cyclists)

Many people regularly walk, so the UK is pedestrian-friendly. There are some types of crossings where oncoming traffic must stop for any pedestrian- so as a driver, you have to be on the look-out at all times.

Did I mention we drive on the left side of the road? When we watch American movies and shows, it seems weird to see them on the right now. I actually go to the correct side of the car to drive now, too. I know that left turns are easier than right turns and know to look both ways for right turns. Roundabouts are just crazy and there are just too many of them- how expensive is it to put in a signal? Seriously.

4 comments:

Andrea G. said...

Oh Emily! I am willing to pray and fast for you that day! YOU can do it friend! :)

Mark and Rachel said...

First off, you are the comment queen and I love you for it.

Secondly, just had major flashbacks to this time last year. Not fun. I still can't keep track of which crossing does what or why there really have to be 4. Seriously?

Thirdly, just making sure you know you have to first have your provisional license before you can apply for the theory.

Will be praying things go well!

codi said...

That seriously sounds like a nightmare to me. Of course, I accidentally let my license expire by three years (yes, three)and had to take the written and driving tests. Did I mention I failed the driving portion the first time around? Yes, I failed to stay stopped at a stop sign long enough to slowly spell S-T-O-P in my head, or so the driving lady said;)I'll be praying for you!

Grandmama said...

It sounds very difficult - I'll start praying right now!