If you ever wanted an open door for talking to people, just borrow my kids. Seriously, we have so many campus friends now from going to the HUB every morning. The workers there are especially fond of sweet Rebekah because she chats with them. Everyone we pass smiles at me presumably because my children are so precious. There are 2 workers there with whom we are on a first-names basis. One of them remembers our names because he has a Becky and his 10-month-old grandson is named...Luke! They spoil Rebekah with attention and try to give her treats. :)
Anyway, on the way to the HUB this am, we passed a woman whom I have seen before. She smiled and smiled at Rebekah and chuckled at R's comments. We caught up with her and began to chat. She lives in our complex (translation- she's poor- our flat is nicer, but most are for what we would call wellfare) and is from South Africa. Everyone else I have met from South Africa has been "white," but she is not and has a lovely accent. R asked her her name only to find out it was Emily! Emily proceeded to tell me that Emily means Esther, at which point I told her that Rebekah's name also came form the Old Testament. She didn't hear me, I don't think, b/c she was excited b/c, she, too, has a Becky. In fact, she had 9 children, 7 surviving. She apparently grew up very lonely w/o siblings and prayed at the age of 14 for 9 or 10 children when she got older. It was the first time she had ever prayed and she never told anyone about it. Then, when she was on her 6th child, Jonathon, she was frustrated with how hard things were and was just wishing he could walk, etc... (sounded familiar to me ::). Her 10-year old daughter woke up early that day and came into her room and told her that she had dreamed that God had told her to comfort her mother and to remind her that she had prayed for many children. Two things happened: First, Emily quit complaining about her children. Secondly, she believed in God. At this point, I was tempted to leave the conversation alone. However, three things crossed my mind: First, we had an unbelieving office mate of Josh's for dinner last night and it got me really thinking about Christ and sharing Him. Second, my best friend, Shannon, just got to share the gospel to 250 young college women Monday night and will again soon to another sorority. Shannon has been a strong voice for the gospel of Christ as long as I have known her. Third, my mom is trying to spearhead an evangelism movement in her church, also being a champion of the faith for as long as I can remember (much to my embarrassment as child). Anyway, I decided to probe a bit by saying, "We believe in God, too. We believe in the God of the Bible and His son, Jesus Christ." At this point, her whole face lit up- "You are Christians?!"
I really think that Luke woke up a bit early this morning so we would meet her and encourage her on her way to work. Foolishly, I did not think to have her over (in retrospect, I realize she is lonely with her family still in South Africa- she is working to send kids to college for a better life) until she was gone. I tried to find her, but what did we learn? God is a God who answers prayer. I am praying we will find her again soon and give her some fellowship.
I teared up as I walked away, convicted to my soul how little I share my faith, and how boldly this woman shared her story with a stranger. Had I not been a Christian already, I can only imagine what my thoughts would have been, but way to go, Emily, my new friend, for putting yourself out there for a Savior you obviously adore.
Anyway, while Josh and I picked names we liked for our children, we didn't worry about the meanings, like so many do. However, in spite of us, the Lord has already used our names for His kingdom. Way to go, Lord- your resourcefulness always impresses me. :)
And the winner is….
9 years ago



5 comments:
I'm praying that you meet up with Emily again soon and have fellowship together. What a great opportunity to share with others through the children. They do open up many doors. I'm so thankful for YOU!!
Nana
Keep preaching it sister! I am listening! My mom always said that her opportunities to start conversations and relationships with women in Africa was almost always a result of me! God is so good to use children, especially when some of us are reluctant and need some pushing!
It's amazing how the Lord works my dear Emily! There were so many opportunities when you and Billy were growing up - even though it embarrassed you. I'm so grateful for what the Lord is doing in your life and pray for you daily - thanks for some specifics to be talking to the Lord about!
What a great story Emily, I will pray also that you meet your new friend again!
Very cool story! One of my friends had a "run in" with this woman once and left before she thought to get her information. Anyways, she asked God to bring the woman back into her life and He did! I know it took some time (couple of months), but it all worked out.
Post a Comment