25 random things about me as seen on Facebook...
1. I like socks. Not just white ones- actually, I am appalled at the thought of white, tan, navy, or black socks. I love colorful, sassy socks and I make my kids wear them, too.
2. Having children has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done.
3. I could spend all day outside. I love it.
4. I am task-oriented to the extreme. I have a hard time putting people (even my family) above tasks on my to-do list. I love the feeling of accomplishment when they are done.
5. I love cleaning and organizing, but ONLY if there is a noticeable change.
6. Quite the opposite of being indecisive, I make impulsive decisions that I usually regret, tho not to the point of losing sleep over them. If given a 50/50 shot of getting something right, I’ll more than likely get it wrong.
7. I frequently am unprepared b/c I didn’t feel like being prepared- such as putting the kids and myself in warm enough clothing…
8. I thought after teaching a foreign language for 5 years, I would be more excited about living abroad. I find I have become that person who longs for the comfort of “home.”
9. I love being a mom and I love working. I wish I could somehow do both full-time. Weird, I know. I prefer being with my children, tho.
10. I count things- a lot.
11. Similarly, I trace shapes mentally and am fascinated with fonts and stuff like that. However, I get impatient when on the computer and rarely change fonts.
12. I feel somewhat proud that my son favors my side of the family. As if I had anything to do with it.
13. I am the only one in my immediate family of 4 who does not have blue eyes.
14. If you wanted to torture me, all you’d have to do is make me listen to one of my kids cry. Yours don’t bother me at all- not even annoying. As a result, I am a great babysitter b/c it doesn’t faze me too much.
15. My favorite days are busy days!
16. I often find myself wondering what my dad thinks about me. Does he like the woman I’ve become? Is he proud of me? Does he think I’m a good mom? Does he wish I were different, better? I guess it’s proof that every girl craves her daddy’s approval.
17. I could cook all day long. I am not a good baker.
18. I hate the idea of using a recipe- it slows me down and curbs my creativity.
19. I am NOT a perfectionist. At all.
20. I am rarely sympathetic to sick people. Suck it up.
21. Like my dear friend, Carrie, my favorite part of being preggers is delivery (can I get a woo hoo for epidurals?) and the days in the hospital.
22. I LOVE my husband- I think he’s really funny and smart and he loves me, too!
23. My kids are pretty smart and I am really proud of them- look at my blog if you’re not sure.
24. I have lived in TX, OK, Spain (short), IA, and now Scotland. Iowa is my favorite. Shocks even me.
25. Looking at my friends, my husband, and my kids, I have to assume that I am a pretty incredible person…how else could I have such amazing people around me?
So, that got me thinking. I like some of those things. I am embarrassed of some of them. I'd like to change a lot of them. Aside from the Holy Spirit, that's not going to happen. However, I just made some realizations recently. I realized that the Lord is working in and on me.
How I know:
I am content.
I feel quite satisfied with who I am.
I am proud of what I bring to the table- literally and metaphorically. This week, I have worked at least 4 hours a day and still put homemade meals on the table for dinner. For example, I made chicken pot pie (thanks, Phyllis for the recipe!) and mashed potatoes and salad tonight. Last night, we had Honey Molasses Drumsticks, steamed veggies, and tomato-basil rice (Thanks, Shannie for the chicken recipe and Tammy E. for the rice!). The night before, we had spiced lamb and veggies over herbed rice (Thanks, Josh, for pushing me to try this and for finding and overseeing the execution of this recipe). The previous night we had Sour Cream Chicken (thanks, Mom, for the recipe!), broccoli, and corn casserole (thanks, Phyllis!). The night before that we had Minestrone (thanks Cooking Light for the base recipe and Josh for all your insight as to how to improve it with tomato juice and your Italian sausage)....the list goes on. I will admit, I am proud of this accomplishment. Not in a bad way- in a I'm glad I'm a wife and mother kind of way.
I am feeling more confident about my mothering abilities- I am seeing wonderful fruit in R's life. And the way she treats Luke, as well as her baby dolls, echoes the love I give them, which delights me. I have few regrets with Luke...I have MILLIONS with Rebekah :( where I wish I could go back in time and treasure her more. I feel like I am FINALLY learning my children for who they are and have reasonable expectations for them. (The other day, Luke looked at me, grinned the way only he can and said very clearly, "Mama."...sigh of contentment...)
For the first time in my life, I don't weigh myself or look in the mirror often. Yea for 1 tiny mirror in the flat!!
I can look at the future and not cringe in anxiety. This is HUGE!!! (I still grieve what we left, but that will heal one day...right?)
So, like I said, that's more than you wanted to know. Thanks for humoring me!
And the winner is….
9 years ago



9 comments:
Thanks for sharing your heart :) BTW, we missed you at Bible study last week!
Enjoyed reading your recent thoughts. None of us can change without God's help! We all NEED to change to be more like Christ. If you see progress in yourself PTL! I'm thankful you are my daughter-in-love (law). We love you like a daughter! We love the woman you continue to become and look expectantly toward the future.
Nana
Ahhhh... (sigh of contentment). You've inspired me to slow down and make room for life.
What a great post! And what a great looking pot pie! Any way I could get the recipe from you?? My hubby would LOVE it :)
Em,
I'm so very proud of you - as is your Dad!!!!!!!!!!! Both of us love you as only parents can - with our whole hearts. You are such an amazing woman of God, a daughter that I wouldn't change a thing about (except where you live although I know you are right where you should be at this time in your life), a fabulous wife, and a phenomenal mother - what more could anyone hope for??!! You are treasured Emily not only by us but by so many others. A little sidenote of humor - when I read that you were the only one in your immediate family of four that didn't have blue eyes, my first thought was that your Dad was the only one of the 4 of us that does have them! Time marches on doesn't it!!
You make me smile friend and you should feel proud in a good way! Like usual, I am drooling hearing your menu and I am so impressed! I won't forget watching you make chicken tetrizzini with me and how fast you cut everything up! The cooking in Scotland would do me in... lamb? You go girl! And I agree you are amazing! You are so easy to love! Please know you are loved! Counting down to November!
That is so wonderful to hear how great you are doing. What awesome meals! Please email me some of them!! I am always looking for new ideas, although, I am not as creative as you, and do go by the recipe. : )
Are your migraines going away? They are so terrible to have. I hope you are feeling better!
I don't know how I missed this post--where have I been??? Great post, learned a lot. Probably heading to Willow Bend to play later--wish y'all were gonna be there! I need another good Emily distraction! Take that as a compliment :)
Being the Texas girl I am, I too am shocked at how much I love Iowa. Who would have ever thought...
Post a Comment