Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flood in Iowa

We are doing fine, but our town and state are suffering badly. It seems surreal b/c our neighborhood has been untouched by the flood waters (PTL), so it's hard to imagine that this is reality. I keep trying to get across town, only to get caught in crazy traffic and have most of the roads closed. Our town is divided by the Iowa River and the fact that it is swelling over its banks is wreaking havoc on the whole area. Most of the east/west travel across town has been halted and our church looks like it will be ruined. The flood waters have broken all previous records and it's not even over! (over the 500-yr flood plane)

Aerial of our church (white outline is sandbags b/f the water went over them)...


Behind our church...


Church offices- the water reached about 4 feet up the walls of the church yesterday. They did evacuate this area of town and emptied the whole building in about 3 hours. The water could go another 4 1/2-5 feet! So, 2 days of sandbagging ended up being for naught!



The stop sign for the back way to our church...



The church playground...


More of the church...


The strip in Coralville (the next town where the mall is)...


7 comments:

Mommy Parr said...

Wow....I can't believe it. Colin's dad is in Iowa right now (Colin's grandmother just had open heart surgery) and he hasn't mentioned how bad it has gotten. Is there any chance it could damage your house?

Shannon said...

Wow. Seriously, all I kept saying was wow. We will keep praying faithfully for all those involved!

Korrin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Korrin said...

I will be praying for all of you, and I hope your sweet babies feel better soon.

Korrin said...

FYI. The deleted post was from me, something different happened so I deleted it.

Mike + Stacey Duncan said...

Wow... well Mike and I are praying for yall's safety...

The Knorr's said...

Yikes, Emily! We have been following the news, but I didn't know how close y'all were to the flooding. We are praying with y'all and for all involved.