He weighed in at 12 lbs. 11 oz (55%) and was over 25 in (97%). He is healthy except for thrush and we got another prescription today which should wipe it out soon....fingers crossed.
My brother commented that Rebes had "mad toes" at 6 weeks...I said that about Luke the other day and now Rebekah says Luke has "mad toes"- they really are like finger length...so funny!
I realized I have not kept a lot of you updated on his kidney situation...long story short, his right kidney is still dilated- it seems to be draining fluid slowly. They wanted us to get in to see a pediatric urologist who normally takes 6 months to get in and we had 1 week before we move to out of network insurance and then to Scotland!!! Our dr got us in this week! So, Luke saw him yesterday!! He looked at the sonogram and determined there were 3 possibilities: 1) he is anatomically different, but nothing is wrong, 2) the urine was refluxing back into his kidney- inserting a catheter and watching via an xray would determine if this was the case (antibiotics would fix this), or 3) there is a blockage which would be determined by a renal scan and surgery would then be required. The dr thought #1 is the case, but maybe #2 and probably not #3. We did the test for #2 and got negative results, which means he is either normal or will need surgery down the road. We have decided with the dr's advice to get another sonogram in 4-6 weeks and go from there. I am attaching pics of poor Luke's first catheter. The upside was that he got a sugar-paci which evidently covers a multitude of evils! Sweet little guy slept thru most of it so they had to prod him to stimulate him to pee so they could watch for reflux. :)
Getting strapped in...a little angry...

now just overwhelmed...but loving the sugar-paci...
Trying to sleep it off....
We got to watch to see if the urine refluxed. The dark area is his bladder and the dark line is the catheter. We were watching to see if the fluid went backwards towards the kidney. It didn't and they were able to immediately rule out reflux.
Just a reminder that he isn't always tortured...sometimes he has a love affair with his duckie....

Rebekah wanted to hold Baby Luke...
Rebekah and Mamama at the fountain (pronounced "mountain")...that's about as wet as she was willing to get...so my girl!



7 comments:
so how did YOU do as they were strapping him down for the cath? I think I would have freaked out a little :O)
He is such a cute little man...
Glad to see an update on Luke...praying for option #1!
Luke is huge! Glad that he is a healthy, strapping young lad. We'll be praying for his kidney and that everything is fine.
I can't believe you weren't crying too. That would have been hard for me. Glad to see his smiles though! I'll keep praying for him!
I HATE...I HATE....I HATE strapping down kids! But, sometimes it has to be done. It about makes me cry though when we have to do it. Those little guys are strong! It sounds like you did well during the procedure? You are so strong! I will keep checking your blog to see what the verdict is on little Luke! Glad you made it OK to Texas. :)
So I don't check your blog in awhile, and of course, you have another baby! Woohoo! Congratulations. I'm so glad you have a son. And you and your mom are still so lovely! I hope everything is well.
-Emily George
Oh, it pains me to see little Luke turning red from crying, even though you were all trying to help the little guy. I will join you all in praying and hoping for #1!
Meanwhile, why the "mean"? The long and lean seem appropriate! ;)
Post a Comment