Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Beach

Phyllis blessed us by keeping Luke so Josh and I could take Rebekah to the beach. For you Iowans, the Texas beach is not beautiful! However, it was her first experience to see so much water and we all had a ball (besides squeezing my post-pregnancy body into my mother-in-law's swimsuit- side note- Rebekah asked me where I got my "swimsoup" and if we could bring the "sunscream")! Rebekah eagerly trotted in the water as long as she had a hand she could hold onto. She, Josh, and I dug for shells (well, I dug until I dug up a crab that crawled on my hand and then I retired as a digging encourager!) and not so shockingly Rebekah was quite picky about what exactly counted as a shell...My favorite part was holding her hands- Josh and I both had a hand as we waded out into the ocean- Rebekah started floating on her tummy and excitedly cried out, "I'm swimming!!" It was precious.

Potty training is up and down to be quite honest...I am surprised at how frequently R lies to me about not needing to go- she says, "I need to not go potty...I need to not tee-tee," etc...we are definitely making progress and the past 2 days she has verbalized almost all her needs, which is wonderful! I still love how excited she gets about what kind of poops she does (2 poopies vs little bitty poopy).

Rebekah has also begun to pray for our meals- it goes like this:

"Dear Ward, thank you for Daddy...thank you for Nana...(she's looking around to remind herself who's there)...thank you for Papa...(looks around, as if she can't remember me :)) thank you for Mommy...thank you for Nana's glasses...thank you for the food...Amen!!!"

She also LOVES bossing Duncan (my in-laws' Westie) around! She LOVES to walk him and he is little enough that she is able to hold the leash- she commands him, "Duncan, no! Duncan, stay on the sidewalk! Duncan, do you want to go poop?" It's pretty funny. Luke LOVES being outside- maybe more than Rebekah, much to my amazement! He will be fussy and if we go outside, he almost always immediately calms down...he loves going on the walks in a sling, all wrapped up like a baby frog, sweating madly. :) I am soooo delighted my children love being outside- so do I!

Luke really is becoming his own little man- he is starting to respond so much more, reach for and hold things, move more- he pushes off his legs like crazy- granted I am comparing him to noodle-leg Bekah! We are starting to realize he is more social than I originally thought- he will cry until someone looks at him, then break out in a huge grin- little faker! On his best days, I want another child, on his fussy days (yesterday!), I am glad we might be done! Rebekah is definitely a fan of no more- she happily suggested yesterday when she wanted to be chased, but I was holding him, "Mommy, put Baby Luke down on ground? (no) Mommy- (looks around for his infant seat) put Baby Luke in his seat- I go get it! (no) Mommy, put Baby Luke down for nap?" Bless her heart!

At the beach-





(for my dad's side of the fam- doesn't she favor Kendall here?)

This was her best attempt at a smile...

In Josh's hat...

Little man gettin' a little handsy...

So sweet with their Papa...

So sweet with Mama!!
Bekah-in-a-bag
Bekah-Burrito
Bekah-in-a-wagon

6 comments:

Tamara said...

I for one think your post-pregnancy body looks AMAZING!

Andrea G. said...

I love your hair in the picture with Luke... it looks GREAT! Rebekah is as precious as ever in that hat and green bag!

Smiley Jane said...

Wonderful pictures! Puts me in such a great mood!

Grandmama said...

What a fun family you have - loved the beach pictures! I would love to have seen her face when she first saw the beach even though an ugly one it's still the ocean which is awesome! Loved hearing about Luke's progress. The picture of the kids with Mike is terrific!

Carrie Sterner said...

I agree with tamara---your post-pregnancy body kicks some booty and I also agree with Andrea, love the hair in the picture with Luke.

Can't get over how big Luke looks. Love his smiles!

Sounds like fun times there!

Korrin said...

Love the beach pictures! You have beautiful children!!!And you look awesome : )