Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Detox

Josh and I always tease our parents that when we return from being with them, we have to go thru "detox" with Rebekah...I'd like to say that it is just her that needs detox, but it's also me! I love visiting our families for obvious reasons, but also because we get so pampered! My ob/gyn definitely noticed my weight gain ;) from all the eating out and desserts, not to mention absolutely no exercise!! Plus, we get free babysitting from families who could not adore our precious little one more! Who could ask for more?!

So, we are back and in detox- I finally don't feel hungry every second, just every other...I hit the gym yesterday and even ran a little (and by "ran," yes, I mean jogged at a very slow pace)- pretty impressive for being 26 weeks pregnant...Rebekah has adjusted amazingly well...she does ask for her grandparents at least a few times every day...she'll say "Papa/Mamama/etc., are you?" It breaks my heart. She is learning how to say Texas and south Texas for the answer- Grandy would be so proud!

She also asks for music in the living room, as well as in the car- in fact, today she asked for music, I turned it on and she asked for "Woo Hoo"- her way of asking for that Gwen Stefani song that's so catchy! Josh blessed me with a mixed tape ;) for Christmas and it's my favorite!

Rebes also loves washing her hands, complete with soap. So, today I got her a step stool so we can do it more often and not wear my arms out so much. However, she discovered the stool has a lid and place to hide things, so she is hiding her ABC's (the magnetic letters on the fridge) in there more than climbing on it . So cute!

She is also really into possession- praise God we're not to the point of her insisting "mine" or anything, but rather "Mama shirt....Dada coat...Mommy's (typically refers to things she intuitively knows she shouldn't touch), such as a computer....Mama coffee (that's right, I'm an official coffee drinker!)..." She also loves 2-word phrases, such as "coffee hot" or "Sammy eatsy" (eatsy means hungry).

Another fun development is Rebekah and prayer...at Chili's the other day, Rebekah grabbed my and Josh's hand and said "pray." We had to pray about 10 extra times and she would say "amen" at the end. I guess we're pretty spiritual!


Rebekah has also learned that Dada works at church- she'll randomly comment (I guess when she realizes that Dada isn't home with us) "Dada work church...Mama work home."

Rebekah knows the names of all her family members and friends, as well as their moms. Today she asked about Sarah, Rachel, and Pat.

She is still very picky about how things should be- not a rule-follower per se, just extremely sure of how she wants something- I have to keep a towel in the car to wipe off her shoes when she gets them snowy (she talks about "snow and ice...ice and water...snow and water" several times a day) or she'll cry. Tonight in the tub, we taught her how to quickly dip her bath animals in the water to get the "bubbles off"- she doesn't like things not to seem clean.

Rebekah is such a darling girl! We always have our ups and downs, but we are in such a sweet time. Allow me to mention a few things I am loving about my girl:

-she holds my hand whenever possible
-she often takes breaks from playing to sit on my lap or hug me
-she she loves going outside, even if it's cold
-she loves baths (I owe this to my sweet Mama who apparently gives great baths b/c Rebekah comes home from those baths just loving them!!)
- a couple nights ago, Rebekah hopped into my lap, soaking wet (this is her routine with Mamama), and then decided she was just too cold to leave, so she turned around, and clung to me like a little tree frog- arms and legs totally wrapped around me!
-she loves her Dada and recognizes his car and gets really excited about seeing him
-she and Dada play "Dada git choo!" (Dada get you), but she still can't stand the wait and runs into his arms instead of letting him catch her
-she still looks for airplanes wherever we go- in fact, Monday night, we were leaving the mall and it was dark. We could see the highway and with the intense fog, all you could see were the headlights on the cars and trucks passing by. Rebekah excitedly exclaimed, "Airplane, airplane- fly! Zoom!"
-last week, Rebekah was in the middle of a good play, stopped, headed straight for me, said "Mama" very tenderly, kissed my mouth, then resumed playing. Seriously? Does it get better than that?
-R calls her pj's her "jammies" and says "Jammies on!" when she's ready to get them on
-she now labels her sneezes and coughs and then blesses herself, hoping that you will bless her, too


Rebekah's first craft- proudly displayed in a prominent place on our fridge. Billy and I both love to put stuff on our fridges b/c our Dad never let us!! ;)

(she rather haphazardly colored the snowman green)

Rebes also has perfected her fake smile when asked to smile:




Josh assembled our Christmas gift to Rebekah- her very own kitchen!! She calls it "cook" and we try to cook together! Sadly, R quickly discovered that the sink faucet was faux...since she now loves washing her hands, it was quite a disappointment.
We thought she looked like a little Sherlock Holmes for church- had to document it!

(admiring the fish)




(after Josh preached Sunday: check it out at Parkviewchurch.org)

These are my new FAVES- we call them "tree frog" with a little fake smile:




6 comments:

Grandmama said...

I'm so glad to have improved bath time - if even for only a short time! It's such a special time for Rebekah and me - I love it! She continues to amaze me with her phrases which will soon be complete sentences! Love to the three of you from the two of us!

Jen Essington said...

I smiled all throughout your post! What a great age your little one is at right now - such good times for a mom and daughter! Enjoy every minute of it! I hope to see you Wed at HIT. Oh, and tell Josh that my husband and I very much enjoyed him preaching over the last weekend...it was excellent.

-Jenny

Smiley Jane said...

Fun! Love those pics and especially that cute Sherlock Homes outfit. She is such a fun kid...can't wait to see you guys in Feb.

Mommy Parr said...

How much fun! I love the tree frog pics! Bath time is one of my favorite times of the day also...you are such a nice mom to let your soaking wet little one sit in your lap!

gwyneth said...

I love those fake camera smiles! What a sweetie. Hey, we have the same taste in kitchens, Adeline just got that kitchen for her birthday.

Shannon said...

I love how you (and Josh) love your little girl!! Is it any wonder that she feels so secure, lovey-dovey, and happy? You are a GREAT Mom, Emmie!